Days Until Opening Day 2009

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Morning After

Well that's it, the season is over for the Yankees. Chances are Torre is going to get fired, but is it really all his fault? In my opinion everyone deserves some of the blame. You certainly can't put it all on A-Rod, he wasn't great but he did get a few hits. The offense as a whole only showed up for a game and a half this series. The pitching stunk worse than the Coleslaw I put in my co-workers desk last Friday. Wang was terrible, Mussina flopped, and Roger wouldn't have pitched another game even if we had gone deeper into the postseason.

But there were other factors at play here aside from the biblical plague of bugs. I think that we can all agree when I say that I hate it when George drops his ultimatums. It is distracting and it doesn't help the focus any when you are concerned about losing your job. Especially in a game in which your team faces elimination. Because of that I think you have to chalk up some of what happened to the Stien. Regardless, here we are at the end of the Joe Torre era. I think that he has a chance to save his job, but only if he really wants it. The players would have his back, but that probably isn't enough to quell the fire up in the front office.

At least we have things to look forward to next season. Chamberlin should continue to improve, as well as Melkey, Duncan, Hughes and Kennedy. Cashmans plan does seem to be working. It still just doesn't seem to help take away the sting though. It will be especially painful if Torre doesn't get to manage the last season in one of baseball's last shrines.

So now I have to figure out what to write about until next April, but in the meantime I will be entering my post loss depression for a few days. It sucks more than I can tell you, but it is all part of being a fan. Next year is a whole new season, and you can bet I'll be watching and writing about it with no less enthusiasm. We lost, but I still love this game and especially this team!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

While I really hate to do this, I’m only going to because I feel like youz guyz would do the same for me :) Let’s revisit some of predictions that I made on this very blog.

ARod Bashes: Not really. His 7 total bases were fourth-most on the team. Not what you want from your $25 million MVP. Not exactly crapping the bed either, though.
Accuracy: 5/10

Jeter Flops: Three singles, no walks in 17 ABs. .176 BA, SLG, and OBP, for a .356 OPS, worst on the team. Grounded into at least three double plays. Got lucky he wasn’t charged with an error (leading to a run) in game 3. If I believed in “clutch”…
Accuracy: 10/10

At least one BS from Rivera: Mariano did his part; he was lights out. I’m not sure he was ever in a save situation though?
Accuracy: 1/10

Angels over Yankees in 4: Spot-on result, wrong opponent.
Accuracy: 9/10

INPY, I seem to remember you making several predictions for both the Sox and Yanks. I’ll leave the ombudsman-ship to you.

PS: I watched the whole Torre presser last night – really compelling stuff. He seemed like he wanted to stay, but also answered that he wasn’t ready to retire and would consider his options. You guys better hope that the Boss has a change of heart…

Anonymous said...

I totally welled up when Torre starting talking about the team like his kids and how you always love them even if they get As or Cs. If he leaves, it will be a sad day for NY.

inowpronounceyou said...

Cupcake;

Had it been the Angels, I would have been 100% dead on in these pics. The Angles rolled over for all of the reasons I stated.

Don't go pattin' yourself on the back too hard. The "wrong opponent" makes all the difference.

Even still, congrats on the ALCS and Go Cleveland.

I want Billy Martin back.

Bruce said...

I just don't have the heart to get into the debate this morning. Matt, as a Red Sox fan you should know better than anyone the feeling the empire is going through right now. At least give us a 24 hour moratorium.

That said, and I hate to say this, Cleveland wasn't so good it was just that the Yankees were that bad. I can't see the sox not making the WS short of a cataclysmic collapse. I'm guessing that you'll be playing the Rockies who I REALLY can't see you losing to. Ok, that hurt a lot. I am going to go and put my head down and sniff glue.

Anonymous said...

Look, let me begin by disclosing that I am a die-hard Yankees fan. I watched every game this year as I have for the past 3 years. EVERY GAME. I have watched this team for 4 decades, the ups the downs, the ins the outs. So, with that let me highlight:
I have plenty of issues with the Stein, any true fan does, but he didn't lose this series. The Yanks lost the first two games not because they played poorly as a team but they faced incredible pitching and lacked the same. Cleveland pitched extremely well and was extremely patient at the plate. I disagree with Bruce in this regard. Game 1 - our pitching was horrible. Game 2 bugged me. Game 4, more pitching on both ends.

Torre is the manager. He plays a role in trades but it is really the Cashman and Stein. Torre manages what he gets and let's face it, he did an incredible job this year. So did Cash in hanging on to the new, but he needs to deal the old pitchers. Pitching, plagued by injuries, stunk this year yet Torre led his team to the playoffs after overcoming a 14 1/2 game deficit. He should be the manager of the year. The players love him and will do all that they can for him. Management needs to do the same and get him a some more strength in the bullpen. Stein would be an idiot not to resign the guy, but we'll have to wait and see...he has too many issues making him impossible to predict. The Yanks could be a much better team next year as Joba and Hughes develop further, they lose some dead weight, and add some needed muster in the pen. Management should keep Posada, A-Rod and Torre. Trade Moose and give Clemens a hell of a retirement party.
-Bob

Bruce said...

I agree with you whole heartedly about Torre, in fact I argued a few posts ago that he should be manager of the year.

I'm not arguing that George lost it for us, just that his asanine timing didn't help.

Clevelands pitching was good, but there is no reason why our offense shouldn't have been able to string together more hits than we did.

Bruce said...

The Yanks could be a much better team next year as Joba and Hughes develop further....

I agree, although I am not sure if Joba should be a starter or not yet I'm sure they will try him as such next year.

Management should keep Posada, A-Rod and Torre. Trade Moose and give Clemens a hell of a retirement party.

I agree for the most part. I think that NY would be fine without A-Rod. I will miss his RBI's and HR's, but I have a feeling he wont stay and no single player is worth $30m when you are trying to build a team around young talent.

Julie said...

Bruce-

You forgot to mention Cano....
He should be hot again next year.

It never gets easy man.
This sucks.