Days Until Opening Day 2009

Friday, October 19, 2007

Good Luck Joe, We'll Miss You!


I've given Torre's departure a lot of thought and I think that I have finally come to the conclusion that it is a good thing for everyone except the Steinbrenners. By waiting as long as they did and throwing a half assed offer at Torre they come out of this looking like unprofessional cry babies who have no loyalty except to their own clan.


I think that the main reason Joe turned them down was pride. If Georgie hadn't made his ridiculous ultimatum and then waited a week before finally offering Torre a deal he probably would have come back for a thirteenth season. Add to that the fact that the contract he was offered was contingent on how far the Yankees went in the post season next year. How do you tie a contract to post season performance when there are so many question marks about returning veterans and when you have so many rookies? Basically I think it boiled down to the fact that no one likes to be jerked around, especially someone who has preformed year after year and given you and the city so much. Torre has simply had enough of the Steinbrenner mentality and I think the thought of working for his sons just added insult to injury. Honestly though, I have come to the realization that as much as I love Joe Torre, it is time for a change.


Matt commented yesterday on Torre's options. I just can't see him managing somewhere else, mostly for personal reasons, but also because I don't think any of the available jobs would be appealing to Joe. I don't see him going to Baltimore (hell I wouldn't even manage the O's) since he would be dealing with a whole new Stienbrenner there with Angelos. He didn't have that much success in St. Louis the last time he managed the Cardinals, although the thought of returning to the team he played for may have some appeal to him. Really though I think Torre's age is the determining factor here. He is 67 years old, I don't see him picking up and moving to a new city for only two or maybe three years. My guess would be he decides to retire to the broadcast booth.


So the next question of course is the much speculated who is next? I would be willing to bet the farm that it's Mattingly, I of course love the guy, but I think he is a dangerous selection. This is going to be a important year for the Yankees. Joba's role is uncertain, Hughes has some issues to work out, and the other young players still need time to grow into their positions. Yet Mattingly has never managed in the big leagues. You wouldn't throw an untested pitcher into game 7 of the world series, so why would you throw a rookie manager in to lead a team at a critical time? Girardi would be a better choice, but I have heard rumors that he doesn't want the job. So that leaves us with Don.


There are so many unanswered questions it's hard to really speculate on next year with any semblance of accuracy. For example, even if Rivera does come back next year he has never been managed by anyone other than Torre. How would that affect his performance? Same for Posada and Jeter. What if Mattingly decides to switch things up and throw Jeter at third and A-Rod (assuming he returns, but I think he will) back to short? It's an unlikely scenario but who knows? One thing is for sure, next year will be a season of serious change for the Yankees. The Yankees family we have all watched and loved for the last 12 years will never be the same. Change is never easy or seamless but it's time to start ushering in the next generation and hope for the best. Good luck Joe, you will always be welcome in the Bronx.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Okay.. well you just singlehandly ruined my post for today... by giving the response to the ad in the comments...

just kidding sort of.

anyway- I am finishing up a paper for class that's due later on, so I will have to come back and read this post over again.. although that pic of joe all teary eyed gets me all teary eyed.

Bruce said...

Crap, sorry Julie.

jess said...

i agree on girardi. i like the fact that he has experiences with the kind of team the yankees will be next year. he also looks like a guy who is motivational, you know?

Bruce said...

I agree, but I don't think he is even realistically on the table.

Julie said...

You really don't think they're considering Girardi??

I mean I know bc Joe said that they hadn't called him yet may mean something... but I don't know.

Bruce said...

No, I just heard a rumor (at that is all this may be) that Giardi isn't interested. I have nothing to back that up with though. Best move would be to bring him up and have Don get experience in the minors but that is unlikely.