Days Until Opening Day 2009

Friday, October 19, 2007

Sigh

This just keeps getting worse. I think Joe made the right move for the right reasons, but consider the position that the Yankees are in now. Some big contracts are coming back up for renewal (Rivera, Posada, A-Rod) and this is going to make it extremely hard for the Yankees to renegotiate. You have to put the blame squarely where it belongs.....the Steinbrenners. I would like to say that I hope this teaches them a lesson, but it wont. What a shame, what a disaster, no doubt Boston is having a field day with all of this too. All this after such a dramatic season with an anticlimactic end.....this is a dark day in the history of the Yankees.
Here is the article from ESPN:

RYE, N.Y. -- Joe Torre told his side of the story Friday, saying the incentives in the New York Yankees' contract offer were an "insult."

"I just felt the contract offer, the terms of the contract, were probably the thing I had the toughest time with -- the one year for one thing, the incentives for another thing," Torre said of his reasons for declining the offer. "I've been there 12 years and I didn't think motivation was needed. "

"We knew exactly what was expected here," he said, "So, I just didn't think was the right thing for me, I just didn't think was the right thing for my players."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3070544

No comments: