Days Until Opening Day 2009

Monday, October 22, 2007

Please God No


Do I even need to say it? We all know what happened last night. Given everything that has happened this season deep down we all kind of knew it would happen right? Cleveland stuck their tails between their legs rolled over and died. The Sox are going to the World Series. (Excuse me, I just threw up a little in my mouth) I just can't see the Rockies putting up too much of a fight, anything is possible, but if the Sox keep playing the kind of baseball they played over the past three games the Rockies might as well grab as many World Series souvenirs as they can because they wont be there very long.

I watched game 6 with some friends on Saturday night. After Cleveland gave up that grand slam in the bottom of the first it was obvious how the rest of the way the night was going to go for them. I will say that Schilling looked shaky, but in the end it didn't matter because Cleveland just couldn't put up runs. (sigh) Speaking of Saturday's game, one thing that I must comment on which is almost as frustrating as watching the Sox decimate the Indians was watching people who either have never been to Boston or know nothing about baseball high five each other as the Sox piled on an obscene amount of runs. None of them happened to be wearing pink hats, but I am sure they would have if they could have. The era of the Yankee fair weather fans is officially over, the Red Sox now own the title of having the biggest bandwagon of obnoxious, unknowledgeable, and down right vile fans. (SMACK WHACK POP POW SLAM) Please take your pink hats, green jerseys, and misguided chants elsewhere because I am literally about to snap and climb up to the top of the bell tower here.

So now the Nation will most likely have another. Pretty soon they'll start coming at us with phrases like "dynasty" and "team of the decade" and "the Sawwwx ah wicked killah." Oh the agony, oh how I am not looking forward to it. It is going to be hard to even watch the World Series, but of course I have to. Please Colorado, do the impossible. If not just for yourselves but for the rest of the country who has already suffered enough at the hands and mouths of Red Sox fans over the past three years. I would really rather not be forced move to France.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Damnit Bruce, you preempted my Dynasty jab.

:^)

jess said...

at midnight i wanted to crack open the maker's mark but realized getting up at 6 am would be rough enough as it were... you said here everything i feel and want to say. except to add that rhoden had this article today that made my soul die a little:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/sports/baseball/21rhoden.html

Bruce said...

Jess, I can't get the link to work. Can you email it to me?

Julie said...

;(

jess said...

i will! i just need your email :)

Anonymous said...

watching the sox win is like watching my boyfriend kiss another girl. It hurts so bad but you just can't stop watching. Thankfully my boyfriend has not kissed another girl so i'm good. But gah. I hate seeing the sox win. and i hate to think of the yanks sans Joe. It just all hurts too badly :( :(

Bruce said...

I hear you Heidi, believe me I hear you. I feel like someone has punched me in the gut.

Julie said...

Heidi is so right.
It hurts so badly right now.

Ugh!!

But let's hope the long break of 8 days has not gotten to the Rockies and that they can pull it off.
I may gave sold my soul to the devil last night when I begged that he would make them loose in the series.

Drea said...

Name a team which doesn't have bandwagon fans? When a team does well people from all over come out of the woodwork - happens in every sport and to every team who goes the distance. It's even what makes some people become fans of the team - and some of the people actually keep being fans even in bad times. Now are the Sox fans the most obnoxious - this is a matter of opinion I'm sure. There is probably a die-hard Sox fan who used to say the same about Yankee fans :-)

Now, I've actually seen the guy I dated kiss another girl (now he was a winner) and I really do feel sorry for you if it hurts that much - this feeling could last for days.

Bruce said...

Skinned Knees, in answer to your question I'll give you two

Marlins - WS Champs never got any bandwagoners (either time)

St. Louis - 2006 WS Champs, no bandwagoniers (no one even cared)

There is a difference between a team that gets bandwagon fans and underdogs who everone roots for. Bandwagon Sox fans (again, the bandwagon ones) feel as though they are entitled to the same level of angst that life long sox fans have endured. It's just not right and it makes them ten times as obnoxious. I actually wrote a piece on this back in June.

http://bruce-567milesfromhome.blogspot.com/2007/06/on-being-real-fan.html

Drea said...

Wait, are we talking about the 1997 Florida Marlins - I was a big bandwagon fan - ok, so, it ended shortly after the series, but I was rooting for them all during the series. Not a big Cleveland fan in any sport, so that probably helped sway me.

Ah, and about being a real fan - we have had this discussion before. I think you can be a fan - you can like an entire team and root for the entire team without knowing all the specifics of the team - being obsessed with the details. Though I can name a couple players on each of the teams I will say I am fan of, but get in a real discussion of either team no way. I still think of myself as a fan and I've supported a losing team for many a years - though we are talking football here - the Redskins. I've paid for season tickets, I've watched most of their games and I've rooted them on at all times - except when they do something really stupid :-)

Get this, I even dislike a team and don't even really have a concrete reason - I just really don't like the Ravens and it gives me pure joy to see them lose.

I wish you peace in your head.
Hugs, Drea - P.S. See, I even prattle in my comments.

Bruce said...

But that is what I am saying, you were not a bandwagon fan then, you were simply cheering for an underdog team. And by the way the Marlins won in 1997 and again in 2003. Anyone who would buy season tickets is much more than a fair-weather fan. You may have waxing and waning levels of interest, but to take it to that level says something about the love of your team. Although I think I remember you saying that even when you had those tickets you just went to the club level bar...still. As for not liking the Ravens that makes perfect sense. You are a Skins fan and they are a local rival.

Drea said...

Ah, yes - love the club level bars - it was an expense I was glad to take a hit on for the Redskins! It's unfortunate for the Ravens that my other team is the Steelers (thanks to Karina). The murderers - I mean Ravens - get hit on with dislike from me by both the AFC and the NFC.

inowpronounceyou said...

Let's not call Colorado dead just yet. Remember St Louis...

What I love though is the fact that the Sox fans hated the "big spending bandwagon Yankees". Ummm, hello pot, this is kettle and you're slightly dark.