Days Until Opening Day 2009

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Still Working Through The Grief

I'm sure by now you have all heard this since ESPN and others continue to report on "the downfall" (give me a break) of the Yankees, but Mariano Rivera is standing by Joe Torre and has stated that his return may be linked to Torre's fate.

No matter where you fall on the should he stay or go now debate, you have to applaud Mo for his sense of loyalty. Joe and Rivera have been a good team and they clearly respect each other a heck of a lot. In fact Torre's selective use of Rivera throughout the years has been a contributing factor to both of their amazing successes. That is why it would be so strange if either of these NY icons were to leave (or be fired), they are intertwined. But regardless of what uniform Mo or Torre wears next year (that is if the Yankees are crazy enough not to resign Rivera) for a player as loved and respected as Mo is to stick out his neck like that says something that will hopefully will resonate up in the front office. I won't be surprised if Posada follows suit, although I doubt he would make his sentiments known publicly.

On a side note I keep getting various pictures and miscellaneous crap from Red Sox fans. They didn't even play the Yankees in the postseason and yet they feel as though they beat us vicariously through the Indians. This is exactly what I am talking about when I say they are the most obnoxious fans in North American sports.

3 comments:

jess said...

is it wrong that it kinda caught me up that mo was so adamant about this? i mean, i do favor letting torre bow out. but i think it's admirable that his players have a real attachment to him.

aaaand i couldn't agree more on the arrogance of sox fans. it's so weird. i mean, one title and then such a disproportional sense of entitlement!

Bruce said...

I think that the players having Torre's back really says something about the type of manager that he is. People disagree with me and that is fine but I like him and I want him to stay.

Believe me, I used to live in Boston...they were bad then and that was before they won one. Poor Julie (one of blog buddies) has to live there and deal with that now!! It's bad enough in DC, but that must be like Joba Chamberlin pitching through Lake Erie midges.

Julie said...

:(

I may wind up on the news bc I may kill someone today.