Days Until Opening Day 2009

Monday, October 15, 2007

The Summer Wind


Every fall for the past couple of years visa or matercard (I can't remember which) has a baseball themed commercial with Frank Sinatra's "Summer Wind." It is a pretty effective ad and every year around this time I get the song stuck in my head. It is a bitter sweet reminder that the season is almost over and for the next six months we will have to play the waiting game until the boys of summer return.


But the season isn't over just yet. We still have that little matter of crowning a World Series Champion. People keep asking me who I am rooting for, but that is a no brainer. Cleveland of course. I don't think I could ever bring myself to cheer for the Red Sox. In fact the only way that would ever happen is if the red sox winning would some how lead to a cure for cancer, or Alzheimer's. But in reality the red sox winning only leads to severe testicular trauma.


People are also asking me if I am still watching the post season since the Yankees were eliminated. The answer is of course yes. This is the most exciting time of year for baseball, even if my team didn't quite make it through. In fact the looming end of the season means I am hoarding baseball games like Lucky the Squirrel hoards nuts for the long winter. In a couple of weeks sports center will be handed over full time to football, basketball, and to a lesser extent hockey. I like football and hockey enough, but I can't say I am that knowledgeable. When it comes to basketball I would rather hibernate than watch the NBA. The NCAA tournament is a different story, but by that time spring training is in full effect.


So since we are still waiting to hear the fate of Torre and for Cleveland to shock the world by eliminating the Red Sox and winning it all...I'll leave you with the Summer Wind in your head for the rest of the day. If you have to have a song stuck in you head this is a good one to have:


The summer wind, came blowin in - from across the sea

It lingered there, so warm and fair - to walk with me

All summer long, we sang a song - and strolled on golden sand

Two sweethearts, and the summer wind

Like painted kites, those days and nights - went flyin by

The world was new, beneath a blue - umbrella sky

Then softer than, a piper man - one day it called to you

And I lost you, to the summer wind

The autumn wind, and the winter wind - have come and gone

And still the days, those lonely days - go on and on

And guess who sighs his lullabies - through nights that never end

My fickle friend,

the summer wind


8 comments:

jess said...

and now i do :)

good to know i'm not the only one already thinking spring thoughts while clinging to this fall....

Bruce said...

Yeah, winter is nice for skiing and all but this is going to be a particuarly long winter while we wait for the new Nationals Stadium to open up!

Julie said...

Yes.
Go Indians.
What a game Saturday night!

Oh and go Rockies too..

PS.

Thanks for welcoming me back.
I posted again today.
Can you believe it!

Bruce said...

You need to make up for lost time!

I would love to see the Rockies do it. I still can't believe they are a game away from the series, But I think that Cleveland fans need this a lot more than Denver.

inowpronounceyou said...

COME ON COLORADO!!!

Best story of the post season. I still say the Sox aren't long for this post season; Cleveland and Colorado...who'd a thunk it?

inowpronounceyou said...

COME ON COLORADO!!!

Best story of the post season. I still say the Sox aren't long for this post season; Cleveland and Colorado...who'd a thunk it?

Bruce said...

I agree, I'm just saying that Cleveland has put together quite a season of its own and shouldn't be written off at this point. What a coup if they knocked out the Yankees AND the Red Sox. Either way its going to be a good world series, unless the red sox make it in...or if they win.

Jen Judson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.