Days Until Opening Day 2009

Saturday, October 6, 2007

I've been staring at my computer for a solid twenty minutes trying to figure out what to say about last nights game. What is there to say really? The Yankees are one game away from elimination and the end of what should have been a miraculous comeback to ultimately win the world series....or at least that is what I had hoped for. Since the inception of the wild card only four teams have ever come come back from a 2-0 deficit to win a division series. Is it possible yes, probable....no.

In what could be Andy Pettittes last game he pitched a gem. Enter Joba Chamberlin and logic would dictate that the game was over. Then came the swarm. I have never seen anything like that before. Joba had to call the trainers to douse him with bug spray twice. TBS (whose coverage has been less than stellar in my opinion....could we get some more shots of the plate please!!!) had close ups of Chamberlins neck which was absolutely covered in bugs. Insects aside I think Torre should have kept Joba in for an extra inning. He wasted Rivera too early.

As predicted there are articles on ESPN this morning about A-Rod. No one produced offensively last night with the exception of Cabrera but it doesn't matter. What argument can I make in his defense though? Sure A-Rod has produced in the post season in the past, but in his last 14 postseason games he is 4-for-47 (.085) with no RBIs. The numbers speak for themselves I am afraid, he is a liability in the playoffs.

I don't know what it is but I feel as though the God's of Baseball are angry with the Yankees for some reason. I've written about my baseball superstitions before, but when you saw Joba in a cloud of Gnats or whatever the hell they were it just felt like something bad was going to happen. When Cleveland tied the game you knew it was going into late innings. When Vizcaino came in for Rivera you knew we were going to lose. Meanwhile the Red Sox are unstoppable. I don't know about you but it all just doesn't seem right. Maybe it has something to do with tearing down Yankee Stadium.

When I started this blog I had never intended it to become a blog that is almost exclusively about the Yankees. But that is what it became and it has been a lot of fun for me to write about the team and sport I love so much. Part of being a sports fan is dealing with your team losing, it just comes with the territory. But I'm taking last nights loss pretty hard. In the back of my head I have always thought that as bad as it was we could still make it to the World Series somehow. But now I'm afraid of a worse case scenario on Sunday where the Yankees are eliminated at Yankee Stadium, the team gets booed, Torre is fired shortly thereafter and A-Rod leaves. It isn't over yet, but I am not a happy man this morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also get the feeling the Gods are against the Yankees. No way they lose that game last night without the invasion of the Canadian Soldiers! Jaba simply wouldn't have thrown those wild pitches without 100 flying ants on his neck sucking out his blood while he tried to pitch out of trouble.

If the Yankees take the lead against Cleveland tomorrow, expect Locusts to descend upon Yankee stadium and swarm Roger Clemens as God imparts his will for an Indians sweep.

Anonymous said...

Iraqigovernment.net - The Best Iraq Resources and Information.

www.iraqigovernment.net

Julie said...

I cannot even bring myself to watch tonight's game...because I wasn't able to watch last nights game and they won... so my superstious mind thinks that it is all my fault they lost the other two.

So good luck boys.
ARod it's time to step up.