Days Until Opening Day 2009

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

SHUT UP...JUST SHUT UP!!!!!!!

It has only been a day, but all you hear about on any of the sports shows right now is about the future of Joe Torre and how the Yankees failed to make it out of the ALDS again. Forget about the fact that Colorado and Arizona both seemed to come out of nowhere to make it to the NLCS, the fact that the Angels rolled over and died, or the fact that Cleveland is in its first ALCS since 1998. Nope, all they want to talk about it the Yankees because they think stories about the Yankees losing is all people want to hear. Well I AM SICK AND TIRED OF IT. We all know what happened, we all know there are big questions about who is coming back and who isn't, but the level of commentary (particularly from Yankee hating ESPN) is almost to the level of a kindergarten bully "nanny nanny goo goo, you didn't make it." So please just shut up until things start happening, or at least report on positive stories. It is hard enough to deal with this without reminders ever five damn minutes.

I thought I was done with this rant but I am not, so just give me a minute here.

The damn Red Sox won the WS in 2004, they failed to even make the post season last year....but did that drive the level of scrutiny that the Yankees are being forced to endure right now? NO! Even when the Mets failed to make the post season this year after being up 7 games in the middle of September, sure they took heat but the focus quickly became the post season. That is what the focus should be right now, the post season. The World Series has yet to be inked into the history books. Let's get through that and then we can start talking about who will stay, who should go, and why. Until then if I see one more article about Torre or "What's Wrong In NY" I swear to God I am going to scream.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

With great power comes great responsibility. I believe Uncle Ben told Peter Parker that. If you're going to cheer for the most popular baseball team in history, you have to be prepared to take the slings and arrows after a disappointing defeat.

Take it as a compliment that people care about this team, good or bad, more than any other.

Unknown said...

I heard that some "arrodd" guy plays for the Yankees. Wait, maybe I heard that he's not going to play for them anymore? Can't remember where I heard that from.

Bruce said...

True to an extent I suppose. But the level of chatter on the sports shows is more about making sure that they just get a word in, rather than an in depth analysis on what happened. My biggest complaint is that the Red Sox who are arguably the second most watched team in baseball would never have to endure this type of criticism, it would just be expected to an extent. Although the sports stations probably don’t want to touch the sox because their fans would inundate the shows with emails of Joe Morgan et al with hand bags and homoerotic stretching positions.

Bruce said...

Matthew is starting to show his true colors as one of "those" red sox fans....which surprises me because he usually isn't. Matt, be warned that there may be a big pile of something rotten on its way to your office in the near future.

jess said...

yeah, even i'm surprised espn is leading off its broadcast with torre non-news. i see it both ways. i mean, i agree with arjew that it just shows the yankees are a story when they aren't a story, which is huge. but it would've been nice to see at least some analysis of what the indians (painful for me to write) did right to win. and if that strategy is transferrable to the red sox. you know?

Bruce said...

Thanks Jess, exactly my point!

inowpronounceyou said...

I've come to expect it, really. The hype, the biggest stage and some of the biggest stars...with that comes the hate. And really, it's all about marketing anyhow. ESPN caters to the nouveau fan as much as it does to real reporting.

So, the Yankees lead everything.

Honestly, I'll live with it.

Julie said...

Bruce-

Consider yourself lucky that you do not live in Boston while this is going on.

I want to kill every single person that says even a word to me about baseball. Especially all of the local reporters.

It's like seriously now people... why don't you report about how your team is in the Championship Series and not who should not return to the Yankees next year.

God! I need to get out of the city!!!!

Bruce said...

Julie, I agree you do have it worse than I do. Good luck and keep your head low.

Julie said...

Fuck my head being low... seriously.. my team came back from one of the largest deficits EVER and MADE THE PLAYOFFS.

I will hold my head high that MY team has been in the post season 13 years in a row... that MY team has won 26 championships... that MY team isn't made up of a bunch of a-holes that show up whenever they feel like it and everyone just chalks it up to "Him being Him". Fuck that.


Unless of course you mean duck and cover... bc of course I will do that!

(Sry Im a little frustrated) lol

Bruce said...

Julie...very well put!