Days Until Opening Day 2009

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Sleep Tight Baseball


There are plenty of reasons why Girardi was the right choice to take over in the place of Joe Torre, his experience with young players and the fact that he has been part of the organization as both a player and a coach just to name the most obvious. But I have to say that I didn't see Mattingly taking the decision so hard. I'm sure that in some back room George all but promised him the position when he rejoined the team in 2004, but he of all people should have known that a promise from a Steinbrenner comes with conditions. Chin up Don, you may not be in the drivers seat next season but I would be willing to bet that if Girardi fails you are next...that is if you'll take it. Enjoy the Dodgers, since that is where I am assuming you and Torre will go, but don't forget you are a Yankee and always will be.

I don't see Girardi failing though. I think that this is exactly the type of situation in which he will excell in. What's more, for all of the tales of doom and gloom about the Bronx right now I have to say that we are not in as bad shape as ESPN might like you to believe. Consider this, assuming we don't have to work through the injuries that plagued us this year our pitching staff will be stacked next season. The young guys like Duncan, Melkey, and Cano have all proved that they can hit and play solid defence. We'll lose some numbers now that Dick-Rod is gone but who cares, he was never a Yankee and we will be better off without him. I wouldn't be surprised if we used some of the Jerk-Rod money that has been freed up to make a move for Santana which would give us a rotation second to none. We may not go all the way next year, but give us two and we will be right where we belong, drenched in Champagne and hoisting up number 27.

I didn't say much about the end of the season yesterday thanks to Ass-Rod, but the few days after the World Series are always bitter sweet for me. I'm going to keep writing about baseball as much as I can in the post season, but as the winter sets in you'll be seeing fewer posts. A few years ago when I lived in Boston I walked by Fenway park the day after the season ended. Even though I hate the red sox and I was happy that they were eliminated, walking by Fenway was depressing. It was dark, cold, and quiet. Baseball had gone to bed for winter and the old park almost seemed lonely. I still think about that every year after the season ends, all the stadiums quiet, their lights out, fields covered...waiting. So that's what I have to do too, wait, wait for the days to get warmer and longer so we can do it all over again. Sleep tight baseball, see you in the spring.

10 comments:

inowpronounceyou said...

I am tired of the gloom and doom around ARod leaving. ARod "saved" a season where there was literally, no pitching. The Yankees started how many rookies? I mean, TYLER CLIPPARD?

08, as it stands right now with no trades of FA's;

Wang
Kennedy
Chamberlain
Hughes
and possibly Pettitte.

I'm not going to freak out just yet, ESPN.

jess said...

that photo captures how i feel right now. i'm excited for the new season, the focus shifting away from a-rod and to the players who will do better without such a distraction... i think.

Bruce said...

I agree with you both.

I just put the countdown up. Let me know if it is annoying.

jess said...

i love it! oh it's so farr away!

Bruce said...

I know, the only good thing is it means I get to go skiing soon.

Julie said...

I have a love/hate relationship with winter.

Love: Hockey and Football.

Hate: That there is no baseball.

Love: The holidays.

Hate: The cold.

Love: March Madness.

Hate: the NBA

Let's think of new things for Bruce to post about... :)

Unknown said...

I dig the poll, Bruce.

As an FYI:

Buster Olney was on SportsCenter last night, and his hunch was that ARod would go to the Tigers. His reasoning was that their owner (the same guy who owns the Red Wings and Dominos pizza I think) isn't afraid of splashing money around, has paid big contracts (OrdoƱez) to older (Sheffield), unlikeable (Kenny Rogers) players, and that he doesn't care what other owners think of him.

Bruce said...

Yeah I am going to need some inspriation here pretty soon!

Anonymous said...

It's hard to face facts but the Red Sox are now the new Yankees. I don't think the Yankees will win a world series for a long, long time with all of these changes and shake ups. And what the hell are they building a new fricking stadium for?!?!? You don't tear down the House that Ruth Built!!!!!! That's probably what is going on!!! Babe Ruth is mad and has reversed the curse!!!

inowpronounceyou said...

anonymous;

then let the "Red Sox Suck" chants begin, and we'll await your admission that it's better to be an empire than a surf.

-The OG Empire