Days Until Opening Day 2009

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Red Sox beat blah blah blah

Game 1 prediction - Sox 6 Rockies 2, actual score Red Sox 13 Rockies 1.

The game started off pretty much as I predicted. The sox struck early, the Rockies looked rusty, and frankly Jeff Francis looked terrified. It wasn't a fun game to watch. It was almost like watching your little brother get beat up by the high school bully but there is nothing you can do about it. Even the sports commentator on cnn headline news (I have a massive crush on Robin Meade) said he shut the game off after the fifth inning. It's too bad, but no one should really be surprised at all by this. Facing a team like Boston at Fenway against the best pitcher in the majors in your first World Series appearance ever isn't exactly a routine game. It's not over until the gravitationally challenged lady sings, but if the Rockies are going to have any hope at all they are going to need to figure out a way to put the ash to the leather. Unfortunately I expect more of the same tonight.

Since the World Series is painful to watch, but even more painful to write about I am going to switch gears.

Anyone who even thinks about baseball is chiming in on who they think is the best pick to be the Yankees new manager. I've already voiced my opinion on that, but what I haven't gone into a lot of detail about is why I think that Don Mattingly SHOULDN'T be the next manager. We all know the biggest argument, that he has never managed in the majors. But there are some other factors that should be considered as well. For example his performance or rather the Yankees performance under Mattingly as a hitting coach. Lets take a look at some numbers.

Before Mattingly:
2002 - Yankees average .275
2003 -Yankees average .271

With Mattingly:
2004 - Yankees average .268
2005 - Yankees average .276
2006 - Yankees average .285

And what about this year after leaving the batting cage for the bench coach position?
2007 - Yankees average .290

These numbers are inconclusive at best. Obviously the team has changed over the past five years but you have to notice that the average drops when he takes over and then rises when he is promoted. There is a consistent climb throughout his tenure, but keep in mind that in those three years the Yankees had a massive drought of big post season hits. I'm going out on a limb here to an extent, but since he has no stats to back up his application for manager we have to look at what we have.

There is another factor at play here, his legacy. I don't need to tell anyone that Don Mattingly was the saving grace of the Yankees throughout the 80's and the first half of the 90's. From the mid 80's until Jeter's ascension he was the only player to even come close to deserving the title of captain (no offense to Paul O'Niel, but he was a bit of a cry baby). So what happens when he takes the reins of a transitional team and he fails? Does that change what he did for us as a player? No, but it does take away some of his mystique as "Donny Baseball." It also brings back awful memories of all of those years when the Yankees stunk...and I mean really stunk. Plus what happens to his employment status if the Yankees don't make the playoffs? Would the Stiennbrenners run Don Mattingly out of town? It sounds crazy, but after what happened with Torre anyone looking to fill his shoes had better be ready for some rough waters ahead. Mattingly just isn't the guy for the job right now. Oh and by the way, I was wrong about Giardi not wanting to manage NY.....Joe Girardi sees Yankees job as 'honor.'

19 comments:

jess said...

that was painful to watch. i think helton (?) said it was like being in a spring training game with how rusty they were. minus a nifty defensive grab by tulowitski, i had nothing to cheer about :)

sweet analysis of saying no to mattingly -- for his own and the team's good. just can't provide the tough love necessary for a refocusing team, you know?

Bruce said...

Thanks Jess! Yeah...I had to stop watching and go sing Karaoke after a while. Now that would be a great blogger happy hour!

jess said...

i almost left my email and asked for a condolence message :)

attention span of a fly has an AWESOME singing voice. i'd love to do that just to hear her.

Bruce said...

I would have sent you one...although I may need a few myself!

jess said...

for future reference: jesszielinski@gmail.com :)

Julie said...

I am Donnie baseballs biggest fan.

To the point where I celebrate his birthday every year (april 20th).

I swear I am not a stalker.

Read my new post. If you liked the picture you'll love this one.

Bruce said...

Julie that was awesome....ok, everyone stop reading my blog and head over to Julie's

Bruce said...

Um, thanks Matt. I'm trying to be as good as I can about this whole boston sports apocalypse, but this is so good I have to share it. Oh and PS, Matt sent it to me (contains subject material not suited for children) http://kissmesuzy.blogspot.com/2007/10/ksk-guide-to-being-insufferable-hole-s.html

Julie said...

Oh man Bruce!!
That "anonymous" person called you a pickle puffer!!

Shit man, what's this world coming to??

Thanks for the shout outs!
And dude that link you posted in my comments is amazing.

Julie said...

Bruce-

looks like I got hit by the same anonymous masshole that you did.

you may be a pickle puffer but i'm a carpet muncher! yummy.

Bruce said...

HA HA HA, nice Julie. Yeah, what a tough guy...Mr. Anonymous I think this is the guy you are looking for

http://www.vlasic.ca/images/about_vlasic.gif

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bruce said...

Ah, in case you are wondering I believe that Mr. Anonymous is none other than Jonah Dumont.

Julie said...

oh man.
very very funny man.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bruce - I know we have our little Yankees / Sox thing going down, but I just wanted to say I wish the Yankees luck choosing their new manager. (I'm not even being sarcastic!)

Sure I like the Sox. But I ain't no hater.

Makes for a more fun season when both the Yankees and the Sox are doing well.

Bruce said...

Thanks SD, I appreciate that. And like I said I have no problem with sox fans so long as they are not of a particular breed...you know what I mean. I'm thinking that we should have another blogger happy hour in the near future to watch one of the WS games.

Bruce said...

Why did I just write "SD"? I meant ST, Sorry about that.

Anonymous said...

dude, whats up with that Julie chick? does she give rim jobs?

Anonymous said...

sorry dude