Days Until Opening Day 2009

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Rockies Advance, Boston Comes Unglued



Can you believe it? The Colorado Rockies are on their way to their first World Series in franchise history. What a story they have been this year. It is hard not to want them to win it all, but as I said in a comment yesterday I think that the city of Cleveland is due a bit more than Denver for a World Series ring. This will be Colorado's first dance in the October classic, but the Indians haven't won it all since 1948 despite coming close a number of times in the 1990's.


Which brings me to last nights other game.
My apologies, but after a week of receiving unflattering pictures and emails from sox fans about the Yankees I need to quickly become one of those fans for a minute.
Did you see it? Did you see the way that Dice-K fell apart faster than a Jenga tower? Did you see Big Papi almost lose his manhood courtesy of Manny Ramierez? Did you hear Manny booed every time he came to the plate? Oh how wonderful it was. It wasn't the Yankees clobbering the Red Sox, in fact it wasn't a clobbering at all, but for Cleveland to hold on to a two run lead against the Red Sox offense it was just spectacular. Clearly Dice-K hasn't found his grove in the post season, in fact he was terrible all through September. There is a lot of speculation that he just isn't used to the longer season. He needs at least five days of rest just to be quasi effective and at least six to be on the top of his game....but sorry son, that just doesn't happen in October.


Assuming that it doesn't rain in Cleveland tonight Wakefield will take the mound for Boston. If I was cheering for the sox I would be nervous. Wakefield is their box of chocolates, they never know what they are going to get. Not the position you want to be in when you are down 2-1 in the ALCS. Assuming it does rain and the game is postponed Beckett will take the hill. That works out in favor for the Sox, at least for game 4. But pitching on three days rest and then potentially pitching again in game 7 will certainly have an effect on his stuff, especially if they should advance to the Series. Again, not a good position to be in when your only guaranteed pitcher is so over used his arm hurts just from scratching his head.


What a postseason so far (aside from the Yankees obviously). Who would have thought that Cleveland would be up on the Sox, who would have thought the Diamondbacks and the Rockies would have faced each other in the NLCS, and who in their right mind would have thought that Colorado would win their first seven postseason games in a row to advance to the World Series. Man I love this game.

6 comments:

Jen Judson said...

Since I am a Denverite, who has always been a little dismayed by the Rockies, I feel badly rooting for them because that makes me a superficial, fair-weather friend.

However, I still feel like I have a slight right to become a better fan. My very first baseball game was a Rockies game, against the Cardinals. I am pretty sure they lost that game... but the Cardinals were wearing red shoes... and this fat man in the nosebleeds kept shouting "I like your ruby slippers, Dorothy!" It was memorable.

To the Rockies, I am so sorry I trashed you for being a sucky team for so long. Can we still be friends?

Go Rockies!

Bruce said...

You can be a Rockies fan since you are from Denver. It doesn't quite make you a bandwagon fan since you are actually from that city. You should give your boyfriend some heat since your team made it before his. Next step is to learn some statistics.

jess said...

I will admit I got a little misty reading Stark's column today and quoting Helton at the end about this being better than a drug you can buy :)

And I enjoyed the same dice-k failure. I think it's esp fitting given all the stuff the Yankees' staff got from Sox fans... Boston has one go-to pitcher now!

Bruce said...

Thanks Jess, I hadn't seen that article but you are right....simply amazing stuff. It just goes to show you what is so great about baseball and particuarly october. Here is a link to the article if anyone wants to read it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2007/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3065637

Julie said...

Oh happy day.

keep it up indians!!

Let's hope Byrd is on his game tonight like he was last week, against us.

Funny how the red sox aren't even out yet and all I heard all day from co-workers was..."At least we got the Patriots".

Stupid Massholes.

Bruce said...

HA HA HA, I know...I will be so glad when this little Boston sports dynasty is over and all of their teams go back to sucking.