Days Until Opening Day 2009

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

World Series Predictions


The World Series is upon us, and even though it's hard to see a certain team from the American league in the series I still have to watch it. Why? Because as INPY so eloquently put it a few weeks ago, baseball is an investment. You wouldn't dump your entire 401K just because you had a lousy year, so why wouldn't I want to watch this thing through to the bell? But I digress, it's prediction time so here I go, a game by game breakdown:

Sox in 6 (sigh)

Game 1 - With Beckett starting the Sox pretty much have a sure thing for game 1 especially since it is at Fenway. They still have plenty of momentum from the ALCS, and Colorado hasn't played in 8 days. In fact Colorado has been practicing in the snow. Look for the Sox to strike early in the game as Francis struggles to find his grove after the break. Becketts post season WHIP is .61 and I don't see him slowing down anytime soon, so if the Rockies are going to score any runs it is going to have to come from stringing together some bloopers. I expect the score to be decisive, but nothing like the 11-2 massacres Boston just handed down. Then again there is also a 70% chance of rain in Boston tonight.
Final score for game 1 - Sox 6 Rockies 2 (assuming the game goes on).




Game 2 - Schilling will only need to be as decent as he was last Saturday night assuming that Boston's offense can light up the Fens again. Jimenez has had some decent numbers this past season, but at 23 I won't be surprised if he gets a little lost under the pressure. Again I expect the Sox to strike early, but the Rockies will probably start to get back into their grove. Ultimately this game is going to come down to which Schilling shows up. If its the dominate post season Schilling then the Rockies are in for a long game. But if it's the Schilling we saw in the second half of the regular season then the Rockpile should at least be able to keep in it and use up some of Boston's bull pen in the process.
Final score Sox 8, Rockies 3 ....if it's bad Schilling then Red Sox 6 Rockies 4




Game 3 - Plenty of people are predicting that the Sox are going to hit the ball into orbit in Denver. I think that the return to the Mile High City will actually be in the Rockies favor considering the altitude, the fact that weather in Colorado should be in the low 40's / high 30's around game time, and the Rockies have already been practicing in the snow. Look for Ortiz and Manny to be gasping for breath and the fans to be waving bibles instead of terrible towels or tomahawk chops. Seriously though I think that Dice-K is going to have a really hard time with all of the factors at play. I don't see him making it out of the 5th. Matsuzaka is going to give up some big runs and wear out the bullpen even more in the process. Fogg is in a similar boat as Jimenez, but at least he is a bit older so he may be better at dealing with the pressure.
Final Score Rockies 4 Red Sox 2




Game 4 - With Wakefield out of the line up game 4 will be a match up between Aaron Cook and Jon Lester. Cook has a slight advantage with the numbers but not by much. This will probably be the most exciting game of the series with plenty of big hits from both sides. I still think that the altitude will play a factor for Boston...but not for much longer.
Final Score Rockies 9 Redsox 8




Game 5 - I have to speculate that Beckett would get the nod for game 5 and I think that will finally take the wind out of the Rockies sails. By this point both teams will probably have had to go deep in their bullpens, but Beckett will more than likely pitch at least 7 innings giving Boston a huge advantage. Look for Boston's offense to adjust to the altitude and climate and finally smack the ball into orbit off Denver's tired rotation and thinning bullpen.
Final Score Red Sox 12 Rockies 3




Game 6 - And here comes the nail in the Rockpiles coffin. I'm guessing Schilling takes the start in game 6. Normally I would question him just like I did in my analysis for game 2, but in the most important game of the year I don't see him making too many mistakes. The idea of winning one in Fenway is going to have that crowd electrified and that will certainly play a big part for Boston. I don't even think this one will be close unless the ghost of Babe Ruth returns from his three year nap.
Final Score Red Sox 13 Rockies 2




So there you have it, my World Series predictions. For you Yankees fans out there I am sure that it was as painful to read as it was for me to write. Please Colorado....prove me dead wrong!


10 comments:

jess said...

it hurts me to read this (that's the sound of my baseball soul breaking) but i think you're gonna be right. even though i'm rooting rockies all the way... great analysis. i wonder what you make of the rockies handling beckett in interleague earlier this year. just a lucky night? don't bet against postseason beckett?

Bruce said...

Yes, I say lucky breat. Beckett is simply unbeatable this post season...sigh

Bruce said...

(Meant to say break)

Julie said...

Bruce I can tell you it is a chilly chilly rainy day here in Boston... maybe that will throw off Beckett's back or whatever it is that was bothering him.

Luckily I will be away at a conference in Western Mass (tonight thru Friday) and then NYC this weekend so I won't be here for the shite.

Bruce said...

Good for you, I'm sure that Boston will be a circus for the next week. That is a good point about Beckett's back, I hadn't thought of that.

Jen Judson said...

My Analysis: Red Sox win or Matt hates me for being from Denver.

Bruce said...

Jen you go ahead and root for your Rockies..you root for them loud, proud, and right in Matt's ear when Beckett gives up a grand slam in the bottom of the first!

Julie said...

I wish that one day....
I can watch the World Series and say... wow what a close game.

This sucks.

Unknown said...

Beckett = greatest postseason pitcher ever?

He certainly makes a case. Only Rivera and Mathewson(!) have lower ERAs.

Does anyone else think that Jeff Francis looked like a scared little kid out there?

Bruce said...

From what I hear about Beckett as a person he could use some Masengill.