Days Until Opening Day 2009

Monday, September 3, 2007

You've Got to Be Kidding Me


I took a little break over the labor day weekend from writing. Mostly because of pure frustration. Just when I say that I think the Yankees can catch the Sox look what happens. I am banning myself from making predictions on the Red Sox until further notice.


It is well known that the Yankees have a history of hard times with some bad teams, the Orioles for example. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays are not one of these teams and there is no reason that they should be. So someone please tell me why the D-Rays were able to beat up the Yanks for a series win this past weekend. The only bright spot was that Ian Kennedy preformed as promised....unfortunately that was the only bright spot.


Then Seattle rolls into town. A good team that we have done well against historically. What happens? Another spanking. Not to mention that Clemens is going to miss his next start. I had heard blisters on his feet was the cause for his awful performance yesterday, but apparently his elbow needs an x-ray too. I suppose that means that Mussina will take Clemens place in the rotation, but who knows, maybe in the words of Yoda...there is another.*


With the Yankees most recent down turn it must be time for ESPN to call Torres future into question. Sometimes I swear that they pay extra for a column that rips them apart. So imagine my surprise when fellow Vermonter Buster Olney writes this about Joe Torre. He actually makes a good point about what will happen if/when Torre is gone. I don't think that will make too much of a difference with A-Rod, but Posada could be one to jump ship if Torre leaves. He is also right about the new philosophy about pitching. So for once I have to agree with ESPN.


So here we are in the final month of baseball and the roller coaster Yankees are on their way down again at the worst possible time. If the Yankees can at least take one I'll feel a bit more comfortable considering we play Kansas city this weekend while Seattle plays Detroit. But hell, the way this season is going we'll probably destroy the Mariners in the next two games only to be out scored by 20 runs this weekend.







*Please note that was a Star Wars quote and not a Star Trek quote....i.e. completely acceptable.

** The lucky squirrel makes a reappearance today to help out with tonight's game.

No comments: