Days Until Opening Day 2009

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Does The Division Really Matter?

The Yankees lost last night and the Red Sox won. There is no reason to think that the dream of the division is dead, but there is another question to ponder after last nights 14 inning marathon. Should Torre rest up the pen and the rotation so they are fresh for the playoffs or should we go for the division full speed ahead? Now don't get me wrong, I want to win the division, but what advantage does that really give us? In other words the division doesn't really matter, I want to win the October classic.

If we do win the division chances are that we will play the Angles, the only team in baseball who has a winning record against the Yankees in the Joe Torre era. They haven't been playing up to their potential lately but the fact that they have knocked us out of the playoffs both times we have faced them in post season play doesn't sit well with me.

So I'm torn. What I really would like to see is this scenario.....Yankees win the division by the skin of their teeth and face Anaheim in the fist round. Yankees take the series in four and go on to have another classic series against the Sox in the ALCS taking them down in 6 games. Then it's on to number 27.

What I think will happen / should happen is that Torre will be cautious with the starters, both the position players and the pitchers. The Sox win the division by the skin of their teeth, Yankees sweep Cleveland. Another classic ALCS with the Sox, Yankees win in 7 thanks to a late inning home run by Derek Jeter. Then it's on to number 27.

1 comment:

Rivalry Redux said...

I'm having trouble with the Yanks not winning the division either since it's been 10 years since they did not. But after a season like this where I wrote off the Yankees, just to get in the playoffs is pretty amazing. I admittedly also have a fear of facing the Angels, so secretly I hope they are the Wild Card team.