Days Until Opening Day 2009

Monday, September 17, 2007

Mr. Clutch (my 100th post)


This marks my 100th post and almost 2,000 visits. I am happy to say that number 100 is about the Yankees beating the Red Sox and leaving Boston with a series win.


Something big was about to happen, you could just see it in Jeter's eyes. Next thing you know the ball was sailing over the green monster and the Yankees took the lead. Despite what Yankee haters say about him, Jeter has come through in clutch situations more times that I can count. Maybe it is just consistency, maybe it is something else, but no matter which side of the clutch debate you fall on there is no question that Jeter is the man who you want at the plate in critical situations. In fact Roger Clemens said that Jeter is the reason he decided to "get off the couch" and play another season for New York. Although I'm sure that the 18 million had something to do with that decision.


I understand that Derek Jeter is the face of the organization that everyone loves to hate. But let's be honest here, the guy is a class act and a great baseball player. He may not be the best short stop to ever play the game, but his consistency and leadership are second to none. So it drives me up a wall the way that Yankee haters rip on the guy for no good reason. I don't scream out Ortiz sucks every time he comes to the plate.....because he doesn't suck. I have respect for his abilities even though he plays for the most obnoxious franchise in baseball. (I almost wrote in North American Sports, but I think the Redskins fans may be just as annoying).


But I digress. Last nights win puts us 4 1/2 games out of first and keeps us 2 1/2 up on the Tigers in the wild card race. The schedule is pretty light from here on out, but we still need to keep the momentum going. It helps that Detroit plays Cleveland, but Boston won't have much of a challenge through the end of the season. Next up we play the O's. They have given us trouble this season, but recently they have recently been letting opponents round the bases more times than a 17 year old on prom night. I'm predicting 2 for 3 against the O's.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 100 post!

Friday's and Sunday's games were two of the best outings in baseball I've seen in a long, long time. Even if the results have been in the other direction (gasp to even think it!) they still would have been some fantastic games. The ending last night alone was enough to give me a few grey hairs!!! And Clemens-- who would've thunk it? Not me at least.

I really do live for this ;)

Bruce said...

I was more than a little worried about Clemens. Especially after the first inning. Apparently he was trying to throw all of his pitches to test his arm out before he settled down in the 2nd. Francona shouldn't have kept Schilling in as long as he did (I'm not complaining) but he does that all the time.

I was also really surprised that the Red Sox used Papelbon and Timlin on Friday and then again on Saturday. They were up by so many runs Saturday you would think that he would have thrown in the scrubs.

inowpronounceyou said...

A thing of beauty...what a way to end the weekend!

Anonymous said...

I thing of horror...what a way to end the weekend.

Ortiz up. Bases loaded. And he pops it up. Oh, the agony.....