Days Until Opening Day 2009

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Two and a Fricken Half!


Holy crap, I admit that I have been pretty skeptical at various points throughout the season. After we went down 14.5 games even in my most optimistic days I really didn't think that we could catch the Sox. But 2.5 games back with just under two weeks to play is more than I could have hoped for short of Schilling contracting the plague. 2.5 games left with one more series against Toronto, Tampa Bay, and Baltimore left in the grab bag. I think the proper word to describe how I am feeling right now is giddy.


You know how you can tell when Sox fans are starting to get really worried? You start getting pictures of A-Rod and Jeter holding each other, or references to something that happened in 2004. Given the number of pictures I received this morning combined with the total number of references to the past I would say the level of anxiety in the Nation is 11 on a scale of 1-10.


To put it bluntly, Gagne sucks. Manny's return is questionable, and even when he does who knows if he will be 100%. Dice-k has been having trouble, Francona keeps screwing up by keeping pitchers in too long, and I have a feeling that Schilling will continue to decline (most likely due to erectile dysfunction). Now I am not saying that the Sox will fall apart so badly that Detroit will catch up to them and they will miss the playoffs, but at this point I put the chances of the Yankees winning the Division at higher that 50%.


Meanwhile Moose seems to have gotten his mojo back, Jeter is on fire, and Chamberlin continues to amaze. While the thought of facing the Angels in the first round is cause for some trepidation, we can beat them if we keep playing the way that we are.


Next week I have field seats for the Yankees last regular season series against the O's. How great would it be to attend the game where the Yankees secure the division! Here's hoping.



To help with the final push lucky is contributing to the blog again today.

6 comments:

inowpronounceyou said...

The Angels are all kinds of banged up...it's like the stars are aligning.

I LOVE hearing the "nation" (gag) making excuses and saying that they are watching the Patriots.

Bruce said...

It sounds something like this:

Dude, its like so wicked retahded to even get so wahked up about right now. Besides dude, I'm like watchin the Pats right now anyway. But anyway 2004, yeah thats right, 2004. We won it all.

Anonymous said...

Okay, don't start in on the Sox fans quite yet Don't want to jinx our good lovin mojo right now.

All I can say is holy, friggin crap. 2 1/2 games. And what a dominating win. DAMN. HOT Damn.

Julie said...

Thank god my class let out early last night and I was able to catch the final 3 innings of the Yankees and see the Red Sox blow the game.

God. Right now Life if freaking good.

And Bruce you are absolutely right I have seen more and more "Yankees Sucks" shirts around the city today then I have all season long.

Bruce said...

They are getting nervous, and when they get nervous they whine like babies.

inowpronounceyou said...

ONE AND A HALF!!!

And ESPN is now comparing...are you ready for it? Bigger COLLAPSE in '07; Mets or Sox?

Where you at, Cupcake? Tell me again it's not a collapse, that everything is fine, and that I don't know what I'm talking about....gimme some more of your Kreskin-esque predictions, cuz I do love 'em so.