Days Until Opening Day 2009

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Moose Crossing

MOOOOSE!!!

It was do or die time for Mussina last night, if he failed he might as well have packed up his cleats and headed home. But he didn't fail, and I for one am happy for him. In his first start back since being dropped from the rotation, Mike gave up 5 singles in 5 and 2/3 innings, struck out one, and walked three. So maybe it wasn't a flawless game, but it sure is a hell of a lot better than his last three starts. Hopefully he can capitalize on that momentum and break out of his funk because I really believe that is all that was, a funk. Torre made the right decision by taking him out of the line up when he did. It gave Mussina a chance to clear his head, and it made him hungry again. It worked last night, lets hope it works again.

Rumor has it that Clemens might be coming back to pitch on Sunday. I think that is a bad idea. I applaud Clemens competitive spirit, but right now I would rather have a Hughes / Schilling match up rather than put a questionable Rocket on the mound.

So if the Moose is back and Clemens does return this week, what does that mean for Ian Kennedy? The kid has pitched some great games for us and I think that he deserves to stay up. But Torre is so fiercely loyal to his veterans I expect to see Kennedy sent back down in the next week or two. Although that it is still a big question mark and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Cashman stepped in to hold off the decision of whether or not to switch Mussina back in permanently.

My man Joba Chamberlain's scoreless inning streak ended last night when he gave up a run in the 8th. But considering he pitched 15 1/3 scoreless innings (the second longest streak to start a career by a Yankee pitcher) I don't think anyone minds too much.

Just in case you didn't know this, the Yankees are 40-19 since the All-Star break.....the best in the Majors!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Well if you want to be technical, the run was unearned since ARod made a throwing error....

Also, did you see the acting that Vernon Wells did last night in the bottom top of the ninth???

Seriously, I usually have the utmost respect for umpires but he blew that call last night.

:)

Bruce said...

I couldn't get the game and I didn't see anything about it in the recaps, what happened?

Julie said...

Bascialy with the bases loaded Damon hit a blooper into centerfield and Wells trapped it in his glove. He did not catch it... and they called it an out, for out #3.

At that point it was 4-1 going into the bottom of the 9th, but if the Jays came back to win, I would have been ever angrier than I already was.