Days Until Opening Day 2009

Saturday, September 15, 2007

YES!!!!!

Holy crap what a game!!!!

Before I get into the details of the win against the Sox last night I need to address something that really fricken pissed me off....the home plate umpire. He was TERRIBLE!!! I can't even count the number of calls that he missed. Pettitte alone must have had at least ten strikes called for balls.

Ok, now to the game. The early innings were so hard to watch that I don't think my poor girl friend has ever heard me drop so many f-bombs before. Bad plays, and a few more bad calls at the expense of the Yankees had us down early, and by a lot. I had pretty much given up hope when we were down by five runs and Pettitte came out. But as Torre said,
"no game can be considered over in Fenway Park -- not with its intimate dimensions, angular quirks and a propensity to lend itself to magical comebacks." In the 6th Jeter predicted that they would win the game. Well the ghosts came out in force.

The incredible thing about the Yankees comeback was that it was done while facing some of the best relief pitchers in the Majors, Papelbon and Okajima. Until last night Okajima had not given up a home run to a left hander. Enter Jason Giambi who was looking to make up for a terrible game defensively. Giambi slammed home run number 14 of the year, but the story doesn't end there! Up next, Cano, another lefty....BAM, another homer. I nearly pissed myself. From there it was shot after shot until by the time the smoke cleared the Yankees had taken the lead.

I had speculated the other day on the future of Jorge Posada. Well after his performance last night I don't think that there is any question that we need Posada to be a Yankee until he retires. It is simply amazing how well he hit last night.

To his credit, I will say that Dice-K had a good showing. I kind of felt bad for the guy. After he came out of the game they kept the camera on him as he watched Timlin try to protect him from more earned runs. It reminded me of the Japanese team from the little league world series. In other words I was afraid he was going to start crying. Speaking of Dice-K, I have a $20 bet with my buddy going back to the beginning of the season. My theory was that hitters would figure him out and he would struggle once that happened. The bet is that he will win 14 or fewer games. If he wins 15 the bet is a wash, 16 or more and my buddy wins. At this point its looking like I won't be needing to visit an ATM.

Tonight its Wang vs. Beckett. This is going to be a really tight game. The Sox have got to be furious about last night, but the Yankees have the momentum. You can bet there will be a lot of tension in the air. I'm also sorry to say that Rocket is facing off against Schilling on Sunday. I had hoped for Hughes. I'm not sure its a good idea to bring Roger back into the rotation like this. Basically I am worried about him over doing it in his first start back simply because it is Fenway. Regardless we are 4 1/2 back now. I'm not making any predictions, but you all know what I mean when I say that there is enough time left so that anything can happen.

5 comments:

inowpronounceyou said...

1) The Ump was AWFUL.

2) I said ALL NIGHT this game isn't over.

3) And I've said all year the AL East isn't over either.

COME ON WANG!

DMan said...

Fear not fellow Yankees fan!

Last nights game was a huge blow to the Red Sox!

Lets keep it up!

Go Yankees!

startingtoday said...

It's embarrassing. As a Sox fan, when the Yankees started making the come back last night, I thought, 'Here we go... this is where we fall apart every year..'

Thank goodness for their decent comeback today.

I love my Sox, but they're very discouraging sometimes.

Julie said...

Um.
I have been dating a Red Sox fan for 5 years.... yes. I know.

How did it last this long??

Friday, we were both really tested.
But we're still together.

We just can't watch the games together anymore.

:)

Jen Judson said...

Your gf hadn't heard you drop so many f-bombs before? It's a good thing she wasn't sitting next to Matt on Friday night. He dropped f-bombs that were so loud, you could probably hear his tantrum in Foggy Bottom. He also crushed an empty beer can against his forehead and threw it across the room at the end of the game.