Days Until Opening Day 2009

Monday, September 24, 2007

Magic Numbers......2


(First of all, thanks Lucky, you have never let me down)


I was pretty worried yesterday as I was attempting to live blog, but Moose managed to reset and pulled off his 250th career win against Toronto. Of course he was overshadowed by Joba who lowered his ERA to .42 earning his first save as a Yankee. What else can I say about Chamberlin that I haven't already? The kid is simply amazing.


I must say that I do have respect for Toronto. They really are not as bad of a team as their record might lead one to believe. If they played in another division they would be contenders. They have certainly proven they can win big games against great ball clubs. When you consider that and the amount of bad blood that has passed between these teams it puts me on edge whenever they play each other.


So now the Yankees magic number to secure a playoff spot is at 2 games. People have been talking all season about if Torre be back next year, voluntarily or otherwise. To hell with that, the way things have gone this season I think that Joe Torre has to be in the running for manager of the year. To take a team from 14.5 games out of first and 8.5 out of the wild card to end up 1.5 out of first and 5.5 up on the Tigers is nothing short of an incredible feat. I'm sure that someone will argue that Torre couldn't have done this with a team that didn't have the talent that the Yankees have, but screw that too. 14. 5 games is 14.5 games. Not to mention the fact that Torre has been forced to go through an obscene amount of pitchers before settling on the rotation that we have now. He's made big choices like taking the Moose out of the line up, holding Chamberlin in a relief position, and using the younger position players much more often. If you can give me a reason why he shouldn't AT LEAST be in the running I want to hear it.

No comments: