Days Until Opening Day 2009

Friday, September 14, 2007

Kennedy Kennedy Kennedy


It's a shame that the Yankees couldn't put the hits together last night because Ian Kennedy was nothing short of phenomenal. In 7 innings Kennedy gave up 1 earned run, walked 4, and stuck out seven. The kids era is 1.89 after his first three major league starts. I say it again....PHENOMENAL!


I read somewhere yesterday that Torre hasn't ruled out using a 6 man rotation should Clemens come back healthy and Mussina gets the nod. That could work, and it would be great to be able to give the starters an extra day of rest before the post season. Then again we are not in the post season yet, we still need to concentrate on keeping Detroit in our rear view mirror and possibly catching up to Boston. Moose had a good start yesterday but it is going to take one or two more before my confidence in him is restored.


The award for role model of the day goes to Johnny Damon who in the 6th inning gave a ball to a fan seated in the front row. The fan responded by giving Damon a $20 bill (granted it was Canadian so it was only worth about a nickle). Damon took the money then handed the bill to a young child. That's what I'm talking about when I talk about players who are good for the game. If it were Curt Schilling not only would he have pocketed the money, he would have taken the guys wallet and then punched the little kid in the head.


Pettitte Unsure About 2008


Andy Pettitte feels that he is neglecting his family and is unsure if he will return to the mound in 2008. He never thought his arm would be as strong as it has been this year, but he is going to talk to his son before making any final decisions. It would be a shame to lose Pettitte (again), but given the level of young talent that we have pitching for us right now we should be fine if he doesn't come back. Of course that would mean that Mussina would have to be back on track all year. In the absence of Pettitte I don't think there is any question that Joba would take his place as starter.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Too bad we couldn't get the run support last night.

This weekend is big for us.

Do you think Petite will come back?

Bruce said...

It's hard to say. I don't think he is completely motivated by money so the extra 16 million doesn't make a difference. He took less money from the Astros to be closer to home. But I suspect that since he is feeling as good as he is his family will give him to play one more season. Unless the Yankees win the World Series, then I think he will just hang up his hat.

inowpronounceyou said...

I think Andy P will be back. I really do...and I also think we resign Jorge and ARod stays.

I also think this team is going to win the WC, make the Sox sweat buckets in the AL East right up to the end...

..and I'm starting to think we're going to take it all.

For real.

Bruce said...

I'm starting to think that we could win it all too. What a story that would be!