Days Until Opening Day 2009

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Only A Few Shopping Days Left Until Joba Day......and Nats Notes

If there is one story in baseball that you can't get away from right now it is Joba's gearing up for his first start. If you ask me it seems like every sports writer and Yankee hater alike is hoping that Joba will fail miserably. The truth is that no one knows what is going to happen next week, and one start will not be enough to make a determination on his effectiveness in the role. I do think that at this point Chamberlin is better prepared mentally to start than either Kennedy or Hughes was. Aside from his natural lights out ability he has benefited from having more opportunities to throw without the pressure of lasting six or seven innings. It just goes to show you that you can't rush a young player, pitchers especially, into roles they are not ready for. But I suppose I need to make a prediction even though all of my predictions for this year have been further off the mark than my friend Matt's tune at Karaoke. I think Joba is going to do well, but I think that Girardi sticks to the rules and only lets him go 6 innings or 75 pitches, whichever comes first. I imagine that he will give up a run or two early until the adrenaline settles down and he finds his grove, but overall I think he no doubt has the potential to be one of the best pitchers in the league. But even if he doesn't there is no love lost, I wouldn't shed a single tear if instead of being the next great starting pitcher he became the next Mariano Rivera.

Nat's Notes

In case you weren't watching, and let's face it no one was, the Nat's won last night thanks to a grand slam home run off the bat of Jesus Flores. I can't believe that it took a five million dollar flush of the toilet with Do'h Luca to finally get this guy regular playing time. Now I know that I sound like a broken record but Flores has earned the right to be the every day catcher. If not this year (thanks for nothing Paul) then certainly next year.

No comments: