Days Until Opening Day 2009

Monday, May 12, 2008

Days of Agony

DAVID WELLS?!?!?!? Are You kidding me????? Sorry, maybe I should back up a little bit. In case you haven't heard yet, rumor has it that David "Jack and Coke" Wells is interested in playing another season for New York. Hank Steinbrenner apparently hasn't ruled it out. I'm shaking my head as I write this. Perhaps he has forgotten that Wells is notorious for not staying in playing condition. He may have handled it ok when he was in his 20's and 30's, but the guy is 45 years old now. Not to mention....DOESN'T STEINBRENNER REMEMBER GAME 5 OF THE 2003 WORLD SERIES WHEN WELLS LEFT AFTER HARDLY AN INNING OF WORK!!?? Sorry, but that memory is simply unforgivable. I suppose Well's is basing his comeback on the idea that a six pack a day keeps the back pain away.

Let me put it this way, signing Clemens last year was a bad mistake in a desperate time. The Yankees are not quite as desperate this year but even if they were, signing Wells would be of a scale similar to that of the Hindenburg disaster. So David, please, we all know that you have been a Yankees fan, or at least a Babe Ruth fan your entire life. Heck, I even thought it was cool that you would sometimes wear Babe's hat when you pitched....but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't even try this. If you need the money just let us know and we will start a "Keep Wells Where He Is" charity.

Speaking of mistakes let's talk briefly about Kei Igawa. Spending 40 million on a guy who has no business in the majors is a good investment right? Geez, we couldn't even give this guy to San Diego last year. You know it's bad when your team is praying for rain so that they can skip your start. Igawa just isn't ready for prime time, and in my opinion never will be.

Injury update

A-Rod appears to be doing well in his recovery. Not a moment too soon considering Wilson Betemit left Saturday's game in the fourth inning with a strained right hamstring. Betemit will join what seems like the rest of the Yankees 40 man roster on the 15 day DL. Nothing much on Posada yet, but he did take some swings the other day. I suppose that is encouraging, although it isn't his hitting that was the problem, it was his throwing.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Um Yeah.
I flipped out when I heard that last night.

BAD IDEA.