Days Until Opening Day 2009

Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From The Tree

A Steinbrenner going of the deep end has become an as much of a part of spring as Daffodils, Easter Egg Hunts, or April showers. Love him or hate him, George Steinbrenner made these annual rants one of his signature pieces of work (now whether or not it actually motivates the players is arguable) but usually its no big deal, its just Georgie being Georgie. But when sonny boy Hank Steinbrenner went off I just cringed. I suppose I had foolishly hoped that these rants would retire with big Stien, but I guess the apple truly does not fall far from the tree. But let's get off the topic of the Steinbrenners because frankly they are getting paid a lot of money to not be managing the team well.

Ian Kennedy is slated to start tonight as the Yankees play the final game of their four game series against the AL Leading Rays.* It's an understatement to say that tonight is a big night for I-Ken. Hopefully the pressure wont get to him too much. At the very least the momentum from last nights win (MOOOOOSE) should help calm the jitters a little. So Ian, get out there and make us all look stupid.

Now normally I wouldn't blog about anything Red Sox unless it involves some sort of odd virus that magically made their fans go temporally mute from April through October. But, last night I have to say that Manny's Willie Mays-Hayes-esq play was pretty impressive. In case you didn't see it, Ramierez made a running catch, jumped up into the stands and high fived a fan, and then still made the play at second. I can only imagine that Terry Francona in his best Lou Brown impression said "Nice catch, (Manny). Don't ever fuckin' do it again." In the end the giant Talons of the Orioles proved to be too much for the Red Sox who blew a three nothing lead. Ok, I guess this little walk on the dark side does have a happy ending.

Nats Notes

Nats 5 Mets 3

Ryan Zimmerman upped his average to .240 last night in part thanks to a long home run that may have hit the capital dome. Jesus Flores hit a tie breaking single in the 7th. I continue to argue that Flores is on the verge of being an incredible catcher and should very soon be an every day starter for the Nationals. I just hope they don't do something stupid like trade him.

The Nats are still far behind the pack and will be for some time, but if the Rays can do it, so can the Nats. Maybe not this year, but their time will come soon enough.




*Many thanks to the Washington Express who quoted yesterdays post in the blog log today. This is the second time that it has happened and each time I get so excited I want to tap the person sitting next to me on the metro and say, hey look, this is me. You have to actually download today's print edition to see the quote, but if you do it is on page 36.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I was so proud of Moose last night.
What a great game.