Days Until Opening Day 2009

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Yankees Win, and Schilling vs. Bonds


Last night 8-2 win over the Rangers was encouraging. The Yankees are finally starting to look like the Yankees. Andy Pettitte pitched through 7 solid innings, A-Rod hit his 15th homer, and the rest of the line up seemed to be reawakening. But of course that is all moot if the pitching doesn't pick up, so I'll be watching to see how Mussina does in his second start back from the DL tonight.

I didn't mention this yesterday, but I would like to give proper respect to Doug Mientkiewicz who made a really smart play at first Monday night. After missing the runner (and both of them missing the base) Mientkiewicz went for the bag rather than for the base runner. Smart Doug, good work. We appreciate the hits from last night too of course. I'll be watching for more of the same from him the the weeks to come. It's nice to know that we have first covered so that Giambi can concentrate on hitting.

All Juiced Up

By now I am sure that every baseball fan has heard Curt Schillings thoughts on Barry Bonds use of steroids. Just in case you haven't here is the quote from a local Boston radio show:



"I mean, he admitted that he used steroids, I mean, there's no gray area. He
admitted to cheating on his wife, cheating on his taxes, and cheating on the
game, so I think the reaction around the league, the game, being what it is, in
the case of what people think. Hank Aaron not being there. The commissioner [Bud
Selig] trying to figure out where to be. It's sad.
"And I don't care that
he's black, or green, or purple, or yellow, or whatever. It's unfortunate …
there's good people and bad people. It's unfortunate that it's happening the way
it's happening."


I hate Curt Schilling, in fact I think I hate him more than any other player in baseball, but I'm glad that he called out Bonds (although he certainly went over the top by saying he cheated on his wife and his taxes).

Is there really any question that Bonds used steroids...of course there isn't. I have had discussions with people about how it doesn't matter, everyone was using them and they weren't illegal at the time so it doesn't matter. I don't buy that argument. Bonds wants us all to think that he is a victim of media abuse, racism, etc etc. In my eyes much of the controversy that surrounds Barry is self induced. However I can't prove that Barry juiced up, so for now unfortunately I have to say that he should go to Cooperstown. But once the Balco grand jury testimony leaks and we can confirm that he did, baseball needs to take a good hard look at how much cheating it is willing to endure and it needs to make an example of the people who put a stain on the game by juicing up.

No comments: