Days Until Opening Day 2009

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

I Mean Honestly....Is Tonya Harding On the Loose in New York?


Phil Hughes (20) took a no hitter into the 7th inning last night. He was unhittable....until....HE HURT HIS HAMSTRING!!!! Since the game wasn't on any network in the Metro DC area I was forced to stare at the Baseball Tonight ticker, my eyes felt like sandpaper because I refused to blink and risk the chance of missing Hughes make history. But given the way this season has been going so far I should have known better. Hughes now joins the long list of Yankees starters on the DL. (You can't see this right now, but I am shaking my head in disbelief)

Hughes was eight outs away from the Yankees first no hitter since David Cone's perfect game back in 1999 when suddenly he grabbed the back of his leg after throwing a breaking ball to Mark Teixeria with one out in the 7th. Hughes said that he felt a pop, and while it didn't hurt he couldn't go on pitching. Before giving the game over to Mike Myers, Hughes struck out six and walked three.

"It was going to happen," Torre said. "That was the sense in the dugout." From the highlights I saw I felt the same way. It was one of those For The Love Of The Game type hold your breath situations. (You can't see this but I am banging my head on the table right now)

On the plus side, the hitting was phenomenal last night. Cano went 4-for-5 with three RBIs and two doubles, Posada had three hits, three runs and two RBIs and A-Rod had three hits. But that is almost an afterthought given the fact that the Yankees are now in serious jeopardy with regards to pitching.

Something is going on here and I think that it is something more than a string of really bad luck for Yankees pitching. In the past few years the age of the pitching staff could have accounted for the injuries, but Hughes is only 20. Maybe the adrenalin of his second start, the no hitter, and the pressure to deliver a win made Hughes over exert himself, but I still think that there is more to this injury dilemma. I reported a few weeks ago that the new trainers may have something to do with all of the injuries, that may need to be looked into. New York is running out of options for replacement pitchers.

No comments: