Days Until Opening Day 2009

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

For Whom the Bell Tolls


It seems like you can't turn on sports center or read the paper without someone commenting on how bad the Yankees are this year. Well I wish that I could say that it isn't the case, but yes, right now the Yankees stink worse than that unwashed pile of laundry I keep meaning to get to. Everywhere you turn there is speculation about who will get fired. Will it be Torre, will it be Cashman, is Giambi done? It pains me to even speculate about this because I feel that it gives Yankee haters a victory, but I think that we may actually be heading for a purge.

There is an argument to fire both Torre and Cashman. Cashman after all was the one who hired the new training staff that was most likely responsible for all of the early injuries. Torre just doesn't seem to be able to make the team gel, but I still don't blame everything on him. I think if anyone should go it should be Steinbrenner himself. Steinbrenner has done great things for the Yankees, but he is still holding on tightly to his idea that he can simply buy a championship. When it looked as though his son in law (now ex son in law) would be taking over the reigns in the near future, Cashman was able to rebuild the farm system and pretty much everyone else was able to breath a little sigh of relief. A passing of the torch would certainly ease some tensions around the club and everyone might even be able to have some fun and turn it all around. But honestly let's be realistic, Steinbrenner isn't going anywhere until the reaper comes so we can just put that idea to bed.

Really I think what will happen is that Cashman gets the ax, Giambi gets traded, and Torre gets one more year to work out the kinks. After that I expect to see Donny Baseball taking over in Torre's shoes. It will be a sad day in New York when that happens, but honestly something has to give and if anyone can fill in for Joe its Don.


* P.S. A big congratulations to Alexis and Dylan on their marrage this weekend in Philladelphia, I had a great time!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say, yet again, get rid of Alex. Notice how we started this downhill spiral when he came on board? And now with this "ha" crap from last night....