Days Until Opening Day 2009

Monday, August 13, 2007

Very Superstitious


Its the 13th of August and that got me thinking about superstitions. Baseball of course is one of the most superstitious sports there is. Superstition instills a sense of confidence that you just can't get from Balco. That's true for the fans and the players. Lately I have been blogging a lot more and the Yankees have been winning. Of course that is only the latest of the traditions I use when watching the Yanks. I've been known to not watch entire at bats (actually I closed my eyes for the entire 11th inning of game 7 of the 2003 ALCS), not finish my beer until the inning is over, or not wear certain boxer shorts during important games. We are all familiar with some of the more universal baseball superstitions, not talking to a pitcher in the midst of a no hitter, not stepping on the foul line, or Nomar's wrist hand wrists action for example. But that got me thinking what are some of the quirkier superstitions the players have. Here are some interesting ones I came up with after doing a quick Internet search.*


Former Red Sox and Yankees’ player Wade Boggs was often referred to as the “Chicken Man” because he ate chicken habitually before every game and would also start wind sprints exactly 16 minutes before each game.


Frank Viola, a three-time MLB all-star and former Cy Young winner had a secret to his success on the mound. He would clean the mound before every inning, kicking up dirt exactly four times. However, if something bad happened, he couldn't do it in repetition of four’s any more, instead he would try three or five.


Roger Clemens always visited Monument Park to touch the head of the Babe Ruth statue before he pitched in Yankee Stadium. Roger Clemens gave each of his children names that began with the letter K.


Joe DiMaggio and Willie Mays would always touch second base on their way to the outfield.


Reggie Jackson had such a great World Series in 1973 that he decided to retain his newly grown moustache in 1974. Rollie Fingers and a few of the other A's players decided to grow mustaches to mock Jackson. As a promotion, A's owner Charles O. Finley offered $300 to any player who grew a moustache.


Jackie Robinson would never step into the batters box until the catcher was in position.


So what are some of your superstitions? I would be interested to know. Hopefully talking about them wont jinx anyone....that is unless you are a Red Sox fan. In that case I've got some black cats, ladders, and broken mirrors for you.


*Full disclosure, I just copied and pasted the ones I found interesting.



2 comments:

Rivalry Redux said...

I'm finally reading your blog Bruce, good stuff. As for my superstitions, whenever I play music live I barely eat anything before I play and almost always order a Blue Moon (or some wheat beer) before I play. The not eating much is that I don't like feeling bogged down and full before playing and the Blue Moon I seem to think helps my vocal chords out. Thanks for posting the link to our blog!

Anonymous said...

I always have my cap with me whenever we're in an important strech (like now). But the hat's not lucky enough to wear during the post-season unless its been at a Yankees game where we've won. I have a bad habit of giving my real lucky hats to friends that I won't see again for long periods of time or that are down on their luck which means I am currently lucky hatless.