Days Until Opening Day 2009

Thursday, August 23, 2007

30-3


Wow!!! Yesterday I had my daily baseball email conversation with my friends, one of whom is an Orioles fan. We all agreed that the O's needed to plug a few holes, but that their starting rotation was actually pretty good. I caught a bit of the game after work while playing some pool at my favorite watering hole. To the shagrin of the bartender who had bet on the game, the O's were beating the Rangers 3-0. Imagine my surprise when I tuned in a few hours later and the score was 27-3 soon to be 30-3. That got me thinking, what are some other huge lopsided wins worthy of note. I only had time to come up with three, but I welcome commenters to add some more.



  • June 8, 1950. The Boston Red Sox defeated the St. Louis Browns 29-4



  • June 19, 2000. At Fenway Park, the Yankees beat the Red Sox 22-1, handing Boston its most lopsided home loss ever.


and the most lopsided game goes to:


  • On June 29, 1897, the Chicago Cubs beat the Louisville Colonels by the astonishing score of 36-7

Needless to say it's a pretty rough day to be an O's fan. Everyone and their mother is commenting on it today. Just to add insult to injury ESPN leads with the top 100 worst beatdowns of all time. All I can say is I'm glad it wasn't the Yankees otherwise I would never hear the end of it.


In other news the Yankees won and the Red Sox lost. We are still 1.5 out of the wild card, but at least we picked one up from Boston.

*Picture courtesy of Matthew Bourque

2 comments:

inowpronounceyou said...

I watched that O's game at Bourbon and we were just laughing through it all...I mean, 30 runs? Who gives up 30 runs? The Ravens didn't give up 30 points all of last season!

And btw, nice call on Moose:

Yankees pitcher on short leash
Posted: Friday August 24, 2007 06:01AM ET
Mike Mussina is on a short rope against the Tigers. Wednesday in Anaheim, Yankees manager Joe Torre said he will have a talk with Mussina if the downward trend continues Monday night. That talk could lead to deleting Mussina from the rotation despite his experience in big games and being in the first season of a two-year deal worth $23 million. Yesterday, GM Brian Cashman explained the organization isn't shy about making changes if they can help.

Bruce said...

Thanks, he just hasn't been himself at all this season.