Days Until Opening Day 2009

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

It Is Now Officially Moose Hunting Season


This has been such a disappointing year for the Yankees it seems fitting that we get spanked by the Tigers 16-0 right before a series with the Sox. The only ray of light I see is that Seattle also lost so at the very least we stay 2.5 games out of the wild card.


I've said this previously, but I think now there is an increased sense of urgency surrounding Mussina. I really like Moose, and when his stuff is on he can paint the black like no ones business, but I think that its time for him to take a seat. He has allowed 19 earned runs in 9 2/3 innings and has an ERA of 17.69 in his last three starts. That's just unacceptable. But that begs the question who do we replace him with? I'm guessing Torre will go with Chamberlin which I have mixed emotions about. Don't get me wrong, he certainly has the attitude and ability that it takes to be a starting rotation pitcher, but it would be nice to give him a bit more time in the relief position. Unfortunately we don't have that luxury right now.


So now we go into a three game set against a Boston team who is surging with a Yankees team who is again slumping and full of question marks. In any other year this series would have me on pins and needles and I would be analysing every pitcher based on if he could pitch well given the weather conditions or even depending on the strength of the Japanese Yen. This season is different though. I'm not going to say that I have chalked the series (or the season) to a loss yet but to be honest here, that is getting to be something all Yankees fans may have to deal with sooner or later.


Oh well here's what I'm thinking for tonight:

Dice-K vs. Pettitte - advantage Matsuzaka (man that hurt)


Game time forecast - mid 70's, 50% humidity - advantage NY, but only because they are playing at home.


Japanese Yen - Buying of Yen likely to accelerate - advantage Matsuzaka


Final Score prediction - Yankees 10,000 Red Sox negative 30 (they lose points because Ortiz eats an umpire)


Real Final Score Prediction - Yankees 6 Red Sox 8 (ok that REALLY hurt)


Series Prediction - Sox take two out of three (I'm headed toward the light)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You forgot a point of analysis.

This year's Halloween costume - Little Lord Fauntleroy

Bruce said...

I never agreed to that bet.

(there was talk that if one team sweeps the other has to be little lord Fauntleroy for Halloween)

inowpronounceyou said...

Ye of little faith....