Days Until Opening Day 2009

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Damn Angels

Ever since 2002 I have to admit that I have been worried every time the Yankees play the Angels. Well, here we go again. Last nights loss puts us 6 games out of first and 2.5 out of the wild card. Sure A-Rod blasted two home runs, but that isn't enough when the score turns out 18-9.


In my opinion Mike Mussina is starting to become a liability. He just hasn't preformed to the level he is capable of in a year when the Yankees need him to be on top of his game. Now I don't see him being designated for assignment or anything like that in the near future, but I can't think of a single argument for extending his contract. I do feel kind of bad for the guy though, he came to New York (well Angelos gave him to New York) to win a ring and ever since he arrived the Yankees have been in a World Series drought.



Speaking of droughts, a number of my non Yankee fan friends ride me for being upset that we haven't won it all since 2000. They say look at all the other teams that have either never won it, or haven't won it since Regan was in office.....or Taft for that matter. I agree to an extent with that. I do think some teams could be due in the coming years. Kansas City, Cincinnati, and Milwaukee to name a few (Chicago winning would take away the teams mystique of lovable losers and they would become annoying just like after the Red Sox won it). But lets be honest here, Yankees fans expect a little more out of their team. That isn't just because we are greedy, but rather the Yankees have a history of legendary players and championships that leave a lot to live up to. The past couple of years have been filled with horrific disappointments that any other fan wouldn't understand. Case in point 2004....you know what I am talking about and that is all I have to say about that. I think I have written on this before, but personally my angst is tied to the 2003 World Series. I was at Yankee Stadium for game 6, I watched a team win it all at my favorite ball park...the problem was it wasn't the Yankees.

There is still plenty of baseball left to play, but I guess the crux of this whole thing is that I am frustrated. I admit that the Yankees are not as due for a championship as some of the other teams, but every year the Yankees fall apart late in the season the fire for a ring echos louder and louder. I'm tired of saying "we'll get em next year."

1 comment:

inowpronounceyou said...

1) You're right to fear the Angels. They are the only team with a winning record against the Yankees since Torre took over. I HATE going to LA.

2) I hate to say it, but I aree with you on Moose. It's time to cut him loose and go with the young guns.

3) I still think that the Yankees can win it all this year. All we need is for our pitching to be a little better and to keep scoring runs. We quit babying Hughes and Joba, and I like our odds.