Days Until Opening Day 2009

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Igawa Could Go West

Igawa

The Padres and the Yankees are working on a deal that could send Igawa to Petco Park. In my opinion this is good for Igawa since Petco is a bit more favorable to pitchers and since the smaller market would alleviate some of the performance anxiety. The Yankees would still have to eat the $26 million dollar posting fee but would probably get a relief pitcher if the deal goes through. All in all Igawa still isn't a Pavano-esq disaster since he at least really tried to play. Some people just can't make it happen in the Bronx and I think Igawa is one of those people. No bad blood, I wish him luck if / when he leaves.

I'm sure I'll eat my words on this one somewhere down the road, but I just don't see Igawa maturing into a Major League pitcher. His control issues don't seem to be getting any better, and even his scouting report from Japan had him as maybe a number 4 or 5 starting pitcher. It surprises me that the Padres are willing to take the risk considering what happened with David Wells this season, but then again if he does pan out he'll only cost them $4 million a year.

Hughes and Chamberlin

Wow wow wow

"It doesn't seem like they are fazed by too much," Yankees captain Derek Jeter said, "and rightfully so, they've got great stuff. Joba throws a 100 mph off-speed pitch. That can't be too much fun."

Gag-ne

Ouch. Gagne gave up four earned runs last night to the O's. Regardless of last nights performance I'm glad that Cashman didn't sell the farm to get this guy. He reminds me of Kevin Brown, moments of grandeur, years of injuries. In fact another outing like he had last night and I wouldn't be surprised if he started punching some walls.

PLAYOFFS, YOUR ASKING ME ABOUT PLAYOFFS?

The Yankees are tied for the wild card and only 5 games behind the Sox. In all honesty though, these next couple of weeks are the playoffs. It's going to be one of the most exciting Augusts in recent years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

4!!! 4!!!! 4!!!! We need to get tix for the Sept series, like now