Days Until Opening Day 2009

Friday, March 16, 2007

St. Patrick's Day




Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day which means it is the one day a year that every two bit dive bar in DC will be able to charge an outrageous cover charge and will be jam packed with people wearing a tee shirts, pins, or plastic hats that have a combination of one of the following slogans:

"Kiss me, I'm Irish"
"Every body's Irish on St. Patrick's Day"
"I (Shamrock) Beer"

Believe it or not I am not a huge fan of St. Patrick's Day. Maybe it’s because I don’t have a drop of Irish blood in my body, maybe its because all things Irish remind me of the red sox, or maybe it’s just because I’m getting tired of the drinking holiday’s because they are always a let down. This year's draw was supposed to be that my friend Matt had planned on purposely cutting his hair into a mullet. But now that he has decided to delay this it seems like St. Patrick's day 2007 will be yet another typical night of people dressed in the aforementioned cheesy outfits and waiting in long lines to purchase green beer.

As I write this post it stikes me that I really have no idea what St. Patrick's day is even about. I had always thought that it was the day that this Irish dude named Patrick drove all the snakes from Ireland. On further research (if wikipedia counts as further research) it seems that "Patrick" (whose real name apparently was Maewyn) is famous for converting the Irish pagans to Christianity in the 5th century. Presumably he did this while wearing a green plastic hat with a fake green Afro, and was absolutely hammered all the while. Otherwise one would think that it would be a day of religious reverence rather than a day of social vice, right?

Regardless, I no doubt will join the revelers tomorrow night if only because Dana will be gone for the weekend and I don't need a trumped up holiday as an excuse to hang out with my friends at a dive bar. I may even wear some sort of Irish paraphernalia, but I know I'll hate myself for it in the morning.

3 comments:

Jen Judson said...

Don't worry! The wait for Matt's much anticipated mullet will be worth it! I promise. It needs to get longer.

Bruce said...

In the meantime I have no doubt that you welcome the shedding of that rat that was living on his upper lip.

Bruce said...

Good point Jonah