Days Until Opening Day 2009

Friday, March 9, 2007

On the 2007 Yankees


It's been seven long years since my boys in pinstripes have won a World Series, but I have to say that this year I am surprisingly optimistic about our chances. For most of the decade pitching has been the Bombers Achilles heel, but this year so long as Pettitte stays healthy, Mussina stays consistent, and Pavano doesn't drive anywhere...I'm feeling all right. Throw in Chien-Ming Wang and I think we may finally have nipped that shortfall in the butt. Of course one could argue that there are still a lot of questions surrounding Pavano's return since he hasn't pitched in the big show for years, but since we paid 35 million for the guy I'm at least willing to give him a chance.

The Yankees offense should once again be stellar, especially once Bobby Abreu returns from a right obliqe strain. Giambi is feeling good, there is no reason to expect anything less than greatness from Jeter after his career season in 06 (also see MVP highway robbery), and Cano will only continue to improve. The big question offensively (at least for me) is how A-Rod will preform. He has a lot of demons to exercise in New York, and a lot to prove if he is ever going to be embraced by the fans. I'm on the fence about him, I really wouldn't lose any sleep if we just cut ties and let him go...but, if I am willing to give Pavano a shot I guess I'll give A-Rod one last shot too.

Sadly, Bernie Williams has declined a non roster invitation to spring training, and it looks like he will not be in the outfield this year. You have to respect Bernie for being a class act player throughout the years. We would have been up a creek without him last year after Sheffield and Matsui's injuries, and his experience no doubt helped immensely in the development of Cabrera. There are volumes that I could write about the importance of loyalty in baseball, but I have to say that the Yankees made the right decision to not to throw money at him.
So my prediction for the Yankees in 2007...World Series Champs!

No comments: