Days Until Opening Day 2009

Monday, June 16, 2008

What Should The AL do To Protect Pitcers In Inter league Play?

Wouldn't it be nice if the Yankees could go at least a full series without losing a star player? It is bad enough to lose a positional player, but to lose the one true ace we have on our rotation is really crippling.

This brings up the topic of inter league play. I have always thought that it is a great thing, particularly since I live in a National League city it is nice to see some American League teams from time to time. It is also good for the sport to have teams that have rarely played each other face off. The question though is how much of a strain does it put on the pitchers who are not used to batting and especially base running? I have always thought that it is good for AL pitchers to have a few plate appearances. I mean after all at some point in their career they have certainly been forced to hit. But Wang's sprained ankle has me second guessing that idea. The reality is that star pitchers are not only worth a lot of money, they are also worth a lot wins and are next to impossible to replace. Since inter league play isn't going anywhere in the near future American League teams need to be smart about how much they are willing to let their aces do at the plate. Sure, Wang reached base on a fielders choice bunt, but why take the chance of having him run around the bases especially in such a lopsided game?

I would argue that the the rules of pinch running be adjusted in inter league games. A pitcher should still have to bat, but could be substituted for on base without forcing the pitcher to exit the game. It simply isn't fair to American League clubs to expect them to put their pitchers in a position that they are not used to, don't train for, and risk serious injury in the process. Then again I do not think this change should apply for the World Series so perhaps I am being hypocritical.

What do you think? Leave me comments and give me your opinion on this.

2 comments:

SS said...

A DR? Nah. Silly. A professional athlete should be able tun 90 feet without gettung hurt. No need to change the rules.

It is silly though that there are two sets of rules. It would be like having no three-pointers in the Western Conference.

It's time for the NL to give in on this one.

Julie said...

I saw him round 3rd and hurt himself yesterday and I was crushed.

See I think that pitcher should bat.
It makes things more interesting.

Not so sure about the DH spot anymore.