Days Until Opening Day 2009

Monday, April 7, 2008

This Weeks The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

A week into baseball 2008 and even though it is far too early to read too much into individual or team performances there have been a few early surprises. So this week I introduce what will hopefully become a weekly staple titled "This Weeks The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly." So here we go for week 1.

The Good
Ryan Zimmerman - Few Nat's fans will ever forget Zimmerman's game winning home run in the bottom of the ninth to win the first ever game at Nationals Stadium. That alone would be reason enough to throw him in the Good column. But on top of his late game heroics Zimmerman finishes out the first week batting .290 with a pair of HR's and a trey of RBI's. Not a bad start!

Mariano Rivera - Only a few days in and Mo already has three saves notched to his belt despite much talk that he is getting old, doesn't have it like he used to, etc etc. Admittedly I actually started to believe some of it so it makes furious that I passed him over during my fantasy team draft. That's what I get for not putting faith in the sandman



The Bad
Jake Peavy - I throw Peavy in the bad column not because of his numbers (2-0 with a .56 era in 16 innings pitched) but rather because of pine-tar-gate. For the sake of San Diego fans lets just hope that was harmless dirt of the non performance enhancing variety.

The Ugly
The Detroit Tigers - Despite their off season moves which made them one of the teams to beat this year the Tigers have yet to win a game. It's difficult to pin point the problem because so far its.....well it's everything. Let's just hope that they can break their unlucky streak against Boston.

Pedro Martinez - The Met's rotation is suppose to dominate the NL this year. Well thanks to a pulled hamstring they wont have Pedro around for at least a couple of weeks to help them accomplish that goal. Lets face it, Pedro is getting older, but he has always been plagued by nagging injuries. When he was in Boston they used to come around right before the all star break. I guess as he gets older he wants to get a jump on his trip to the DL.

Well that's all for this weeks edition. I would love to write more but since today is my first day back from vacation I need to get some stuff done.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Good post Bruce.

Where was vacation?
Moose looked good tonight, much better than last week.

Bruce said...

Vegas and San Diego. I won some money at the poker tables which almost never happens for me so I was pretty excited.

Moose did look better, but he isn't out of the dog house for me quite yet.