Days Until Opening Day 2009

Monday, April 21, 2008

There is No Way To Spin It


The Yankees are not looking good right now. Even when we finally win a game it comes at the expense of one of our veterans (A-Rod). Think about it, in addition to this new injury so far this year we have had to suffer through a catcher who can't catch, a short stop who can't walk, and pitchers who can't pitch. To top it all off here comes Hank Steinbrenner with one of his father's trademark rants (actually for once I agree with him) declaring that Joba must be given a chance in the rotation. So what should we do Yankees fans? Well I still say that it is far too early to panic. Remember, today is April 21st, not August 21st. We just need to re tune and readjust a bit starting off with the pitching staff.


Pitching - "That's The Plan For Now" (Joe Girardi on his intentions to keep Kennedy in the Rotation


Yikes, not exactly a big vote of confidence for Ian! But the reality is that Kennedy has been a disappointment so far. I saw him pitch Saturday in Baltimore and even from the cheap seats you could tell he was hanging pitches. However I don't think that you swap him out for Joba just quite yet. As I have previously posted I think that Mussina should be under the microscope more than he seems to be. Regardless, it's Joba's turn to take a shot at the rotation. I saw him in person for the first time on Saturday and I have to say he is phenomenal.



Not the best picture, but you get the point. You may be asking yourself, hey what about Hughes, why isn't he taking more heat? That is a good question, and I think that there isn't really a good answer. Hughes does have a slightly better era through more innings of work at 8.82 versus Kennedy's 9.64 (God those numbers are bad), but that shouldn't get Phil out of hot water. I don't see Hughes as a set up man or a closer, but man hate to say this, that Santana trade is starting to look like the one that got away.

Batting

The bats are starting to wake up. Even Cano who is off to a dismal start has started to heat up a bit. One big exception is Giambi who is batting .109 as of today with a .571 OPS. Honestly, if it weren't for his gigantic contract I can't really think of a reason not to designate him for assignment. He is not a good defensive player and when he is in a slump he is REALLY in a slump. Damon needs to step it up too. Johnny is only hitting .215 with a .472 OPS right now. For a guy whose worth in the outfield is crashing faster than the housing market, Damon needs to figure out a way to produce some runs if he wants to stay in the game.

Nationals Notes

I don't have to tell you that the Nat's are off to a horrible start. I have to say that I surprised at just how bad they are right now. They have not been able to string together consecutive wins since the first three games of the season. Paul Lo Duca has not worked out well at all for them so far, and has just retroactively gone on the DL. The only good thing about that is that Jesus Flores, who I think is a diamond in the rough, will see some more playing time. If the Nationals are to have a snowball's chance at even a .500 season this year (playoffs, you're talking about playoffs?????) they are going to need to go on a winning streak starting right now otherwise they are never going to be able to catch up.

Other Non Yankee News

I'm sure you have heard by now that the Blue Jay's have released Frank Thomas. It is a little unfair considering that his contract was contingent on plate appearances, but if you are the Jay's what do you do? How do you justify keeping around a DH who only has a .167 batting average? I just hate to see his career end like this. Thomas hasn't got the respect that he has deserved over the last couple of seasons and is quick to be overlooked. Unfortunately I just don't see another team with any need for him right now so it may be time for Frank to start to work on his golf swing.


More Pictures from the 4/19/08 Yankees 6-0 Loss to Baltimore

Finally, as promised here are some more pictures of the game in Baltimore from Saturday. Cal Ripken was at the game and even years after retirement he still received a much deserved standing ovation:



The Famous Warehouse Building off Right Field

Camden Yards, view from the cheap seats

Another Shot of our Boy Joba

2 comments:

Julie said...

Dear Bruce-

It's only April.

Love Julie

P.S. I am seriously in denial and I understand that you are worried but I am sitting here with my fingers in my ears going "LA LA LA I can't HEAR YOU....."

P.P.S. Did you see Joba kick save that ball off the mound the other night! Awesome!

Bruce said...

I know, I am not in panic mode yet I am just getting a little nervous. Although I am a week away from giving up on the Nat's chances.