Days Until Opening Day 2009

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Moose Goes 7 and Pena Needs a Tissue

I don't have much to write today but there are a few things that I think need to be commented on.

Moose and Hughes

I hate to say this but Mike Mussina still has a lot to prove before I am willing to take him off the chopping block. I'm not going so far as to say last nights 7 innings of work was flukesville, but one good start in three is by no means a comeback. That said, it is nice to see him pitching like the ace he used to be. His velocity is certainly down a bit, but his control was spot on.

Speaking of things to prove, Hughes takes the mound tonight. Hughes really needs to get in some productive innings of work tonight if he ever hopes to quell the doubts that have arisen after his first four starts and his non trade for Santana. I do think the kid will figure things out, his fastball is still in the 90's but he just doesn't seem to be able to get into a rhythm and relax out there. In his defence, I probably would have browned my boxers pitching for the Yankees at that age.

Nationals Notes
(I know I am being an asshole here, BUT......)

Don't you just feel a little better after a good hard cry? As if the month of April couldn't get any worse for the Nat's, check out this story about Willie Mo Pena who was witnessed.......CRYING IN THE DUGOUT!!!!!!! Ok....let's all say this collectively because we are all thinking it......THERE IS NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!!!!!!! While I appreciate the fact that he takes his and the teams dismal April record seriously, if you are going to cry at least do it someplace where no one can see you. Stuff like this only make the Nat's look like a bunch of cry baby losers, not to mention what it suggests about the size of Pena's cohones.

"I told him it was OK. It's early," Acta said. "He is going to be back to his old self. It's only a game. There are more important things in life. It's a baseball game. I want to win and we are concerned about [losing]. At least [Pena] showed some compassion for it."

Now suck it up and get out there and get some runs!

1 comment:

Julie said...

It was a great game last night.
I was nervous there for a little while but he pulled it off.

Very glad.