Days Until Opening Day 2009

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Tough 2 Weeks Ahead

The Yankees played the O's last night which means I finally get a chance to watch them on TV. The problem was it wasn't a game you wanted to watch from the perspective of a Yankees fan. The consolation was that both the Rays and the sox went down so thankfully none of our gain from the streak has been lost. I'm not really worried about the O's though, what I'm afraid of is the schedule for the next two weeks. The Yankees have to face off against the Angles 7 times before August 10th. Why is it that the Yankees have such a problem with the Angels? They were the only team in the Joe Torre era to hold a winning record over the Yankees yet through most of that time the Yankees were a much much better team. Maybe it psychological, or maybe it is something else who knows.

I mentioned yesterday that I think that Tampa is the real deal, but what about Boston? I hate to say this but even with Manny grabbing for dollars I don't see them going anywhere either. I think that this will be one of the most exciting Septembers the AL East has had in a long time. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar to the pivotal 1999 Boston / New York series. But September is connected to August and with the race so tight if any of these teams hopes to stay in the game for October now is the time to get it done.

No comments: