Days Until Opening Day 2009

Monday, July 28, 2008

Manny Being Stupid and I'll Trade You

Manny being (stupid) Manny

If you are Terry Francona what do you make of the Manny situation? You can't bench the guy because you can't afford to lose his bat, but on the other hand Manny seems to be doing a fine job of taking himself out of the lineup. From the point of view of a Yankees fan nothing makes me happier to see that one of their best sluggers is fed up with the organization. But from the point of view of a baseball fan this type of attitude is frustrating. Star players have often voiced their discontent with their clubs in the public to gain better trade and salary leverage. But having a guy who keeps saying that he is injured despite what team physicians say is obnoxious. What worries me more is that Ramirez may be trying to make a move to New York. Now I have not heard any rumors to back this up, but in the past he has voiced an interest in playing for the Yankees. Would I love to have his bat in the line up? Of course, I would be an idiot to say that I didn't. But what I don't want is to have to deal with is Manny being Manny. It is too distracting and I just don't think it would jive well in the Bronx.

I'll Trade You

Meanwhile in the land of trades the Yankees picked up some quality guys with the trade to Pittsburgh. I definitely think that New York got the better end of the deal dishing out Karstens et al for Nady and Marte. It is going to be really interesting going down the stretch once players start coming off the DL. To be only three games out of first and two behind the Sox right now is pretty impressive given everything that has happened to the team this year. Still, don't count the Ray's out just yet. Everyone thinks that they have past their peak for the year but I don't buy it. The Ray's are a hungry team and if anyone questions the importance and impact that can have on a club just look at last years Rockies. I smell a Rally Ray coming to Tampa Bay in the near future.

Finally, there was more talk about Bonds playing in New York this year. To be honest given the trade we just made I don't think that it is very likely, but it certainly isn't completely out of the question.

1 comment:

Bruce said...

Gammons tore him a new one on ESPN.com today. You need insider to see the whole thing but he really seems to be pissed off at Manny.