Days Until Opening Day 2009

Friday, July 11, 2008

Nurses and Doctors and Needles Oh My

From Websters American Heritage Dictionary:

Sucks - Getting a spider bit that ends up getting infected, makes your hand swell to there times its usual side, and requires two (and maybe more) excruciatingly painful shots in the back side.

While this isn't really what Websters has as a definition for word "Sucks", I plan on submitting this definition after whats has happened to me in the last day.

Yesterday morning I noticed that my right hand was a little swollen but I didn't think much of it since I am used to getting bug bits that make parts of my body swell. Well once the allergic reaction started to make a rash go up my arm I decided that it was time to see the good old doctor.

Now I am just an ordinary guy which means that it is preprogrammed in my DNA to not go to the doctor unless something is falling off, or someone forces me to go. Last night this was getting getting to the point where even I thought I needed to see a doctor. I'm glad I did. While the doctor said that he sees this type of thing at least once a week he also said that 20 years ago I could have been hospitalized. I was given the choice between and hour long IV drip, or two shots in the ass which the doctor said "I've got to be honest are painful." Well I can't do needles I can see (they terrify me) so an IV drip was out and the shots in the ass were in. When he said the shots were going to hurt I thought he meant the injection itself. Nope...I got my shots last night around 9:00 and I could barley make the walk back to the subway. This morning it feels like a pack of Clydesdale's complete with the full Anheiser Bush beer wagon ran directly over my ass. Whats worse is that I might need to get two more of those little beauties later today.

I rarely put my personal life on to my blog because frankly most of the people who read this are people who I already know. But I feel sharing this experience is important. It was only after a lot of Internet research and other people sharing their stories that I realized the potential severity of my bionic hand. So the moral of this story is if something like this happens to you, you do need to go and see the doctor. It won't just get better on its own. Coming from me that should be advice that you can take to the bank.

~~7-14 Update:

Turns out it was just a severe allergic reaction to something, still, I am glad I went to the doctor. My hand is finally back to normal (almost)

1 comment:

Drea said...

Love the description :-) did you take pictures of the hand/arm - I missed getting to see it - bummer. Glad to hear it's looking better though.