Days Until Opening Day 2009

Monday, November 5, 2007

Who's On Third?

Cashman has made it pretty clear that A-Rod's tenure in New York has come to a close, despite Jerk-Rod's comments about hoping the door to the big apple is still open. So where does that leave us at third base? I see a couple of options that should be entertained AFTER we finish the business of resigning Posada and Rivera, and just maybe after making a move for Santana.

Option 1:
Damon to Chi Sox for Joe Crede
That's the Rumor and I think it is a very likely possibility. As I have said pretty exhaustively in the comments from the other day Damon is starting to break down a bit. He is only 33, but clearly he lost a step this season. The Yankees would be wise to trade him off now before his market value plummets. If the Yankees could acquire Joe Crede for Damon I think you have to make the deal. That would also solve the problem of the surplus of outfielders and Melekey would then become the every day center fielder. The good news would be that Crede is coming off major back surgery so we could probably get him fairly cheap. The bad news is that Crede is coming off major back surgery so he is a bit of a question mark, but even more so Crede is a Boras client so we could be right back in this spot again next year.

Option 2:
Miguel Cabrera for a King's Ransom.
Cabrera has a history of friction with his team mates, and no doubt Florida is going to want the farm to ship him up to New York. However, last year Cabrera hit .320 with 119 RBI's, so he would be a good replacement in terms of numbers. Oh and did I mention that he is only 24? Attitude aside I think he would be a good option depending on the price. There is a strong potential for a bidding war here, most likely with the Sox if they decide to nix Lowell. For anything less than 10 million I say we take him, anything over that and we keep looking.

Option 3:
Stick with what we've got, Wilson Betemit
That's why we got him right, in case A-Rod bolted? Unfortunately his offensive numbers are pretty dismal. He has never been an every day third baseman, but his defensive numbers seem to suggest that he could handle the job pretty well. Not a top option, but he is only 27 and the money is right.

At this point the Yankees would be best to go with option number 1, unless somehow we get a good deal on Cabrera. I like Damon, I do, but given our surplus and his aging legs I think we would be better to completely retool and say good bye to his weighty salary given the options at hand.

*I just say this:

If the Yankees are interested in replacing Alex Rodriguez with Cabrera, the newspaper speculates Florida would ask for 21-year-old starter Phil Hughes in return.

If that is the case it isn't worth it!

6 comments:

inowpronounceyou said...

Girardi knows Cabrera rather well, having managed him. If the Yankees make a push for him over any of these other options, it's bc Joe says he can make it work.

Oh, don't forget Miggy Tejada. The Os want to dump his salary, and he might be available for less than you'd think...

And for that matter, Lowell as a FA. I could very easily see the Yankees offering him far more than the Sox are willing to pay which is a win win for NY. He's still far less than ARod even if they overpay for him.

Bruce said...

I'm not sold on the Lowell idea, he is good and all but he is 34. I would rather not pick him up just in time for his legs to give out.

I was going to mention the Griardi / Caberea contact but I forgot. Thanks for reminding me, that is a good point.

Julie said...

Campaign for Crede!

Bruce said...

Julie I tend to agree unless we can get a good deal on Cabrera. Although I do worry he will have attitude problems.

Julie said...

Bruce I have noticed that many times players straighten out their attitudes when they come to NY.

But who knows.

Bruce said...

Some have and some haven't...A-Rod and Sheffield I'm looking at you. I don't know what to expect now that Torre is gone though. It was so wierd seeing him in a Dodgers uniform today.