Days Until Opening Day 2009

Thursday, November 22, 2007

567 Miles From DC

I'm home for Thanksgiving today, as I am sure that most of you are too. So while I wait to stuff my face here are a few updates from the world of baseball.

Shelley Duncan has been treated for a blood clot! I was unaware of this but apparently Duncan underwent hernia surgery ten days after the end of the season. That is a bit troubling, but it isn't the end of the world. Most likely Duncan will take over at first base since the outfield seems to be set with Damon, Abreu, and Matsui. I guess I didn't realize that Duncan is 28 either, I just assumed that he was younger. Well that is what I get for not looking at his stats.

What if? What if Pettitte doesn't come back? We certainly would rather not deal with that situation, but we need to plan for it. If Pettitte doesn't come back Santana comes into play. I have said all year that I had a feeling that the Yankees are going to make a push for Santana, but the question is if he is worth the price at this point since Minnesota will almost certainly ask for one of our young pitchers. Given that price tag it begs the question, can we make do without another ace in the rotation? Without Pettitte New York is looking at a Wang, Hughes, Chamberlin, Kennedy and Mussina starting rotation. That's not too bad, but it certainly doesn't completely settle the nerves. Who knows what Mussina we are going to get next year, and will Chamberlin be able to successfully adjust to a role as a starter? What about Hughes? Were the problems he had at the end of the season last year attributable to him settling in and trying not to re-injure himself, or is he prone to break down in high stress situations? Kennedy went 1-0 with a 1.89 era this season, but he doesn't have any high heat, does he have enough other junk to make it in the majors? So in answer to my question, yes, the Yankees need at least one more ace in the rotation so that we can all sleep a little bit easier. Despite this, a trade for Santana should not include any of the young pitchers. Holding on to and developing these guys makes more sense than returning to the old Stienbrenner model. Please Andy, just come back for one more year so we don't have to worry about this so much.

Ok, I'm going to go and play with the dog and my nephew. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, I hope you have a great holiday and a safe trip.

3 comments:

inowpronounceyou said...

Two words my man;

Erik.

Bedard.

The Orioles will trade him for far less than the Twins will want, it won't include any of the big 3 (but Melky is probably gone) and his numbers are staggering.

jess said...

i hate to agree with inpy, but i have to in this case. :) i think the orioles would give him away for a cheap suit, and if history holds, someone who's good on the orioles tends to be *awesome* when he goes somewhere he can actually win...

Bruce said...

That is a good point, I hadn't considered Bedard but I would take him in a heartbeat. I think Melky is a bit over rated, he is probably the one guy I wouldn't mind if we traded for.