Days Until Opening Day 2009

Friday, December 14, 2007

More Thoughts On Yesterday

Since I was two years old I have been a baseball fan. Through the years my attention has waxed and waned depending on the stage of my life and events in the game (the strike of '94). However I am proud to say that even with the strike and various other life distractions baseball has always been something that I could come back to and rely on. Since I started this blog almost a year ago my love and dedication to the game has grown. I love writing about it, thinking about it, and I especially love going to games. Now this....today isn't an easy day. Any true fan of the game no matter what team you root for has to do some soul searching now. Individually and collectively we all need to decide what the Mitchell report means and what if any effect it will have on our admiration for the game. I can't write an in depth analysis on anything as I have yet to read the full report, so instead today's post comes straight from my initial reactions to what was said yesterday, broken down into three parts one for each of the press conferences and then some final thoughts. Here goes:

Mitchell
I really believe that Mitchell took the high road with this whole endeavor and in his statements yesterday. He assigned blame all around and yet made it clear that in some instances the lack of cooperation he received was to be expected. He also moved for the commissioner to forego disciplinary actions in order to move the game forward and to not keep it mired in the state that it finds itself in today. To the extent that players (with the sole exception of Giambi)failed to cooperate, as a fan I am disgusted. As someone who works in the legal industry I am no layman to the potential legal ramifications that may have been associated with a non privileged conversation with Mitchell, but in order to actually move forward all those responsible need to admit to their guilt so that all parties can move forward and we can learn from the mistakes of the past. Certainly players through their attorneys and through the office of the commissioner could have worked out a deal that would have shielded them from any further litigation or disciplinary action, but they did not and in fact the players union advised them against it. As a result I feel that Mitchell also errs by petitioning for no disciplinary action. Human nature is such that if no one is forced to pay the price for their actions then justice is not properly served. I say that discipline should be forthcoming and swift not only in the name of justice to all of baseball, but also for the purpose of setting an example to future players. Anyone who used steroids, particularly after the ban went into effect knew that there was a potential for ramifications.

Selig
I have NEVER been a fan of Bud Selig. At yesterday's press conference he made two big mistakes. Number one he started off by trumpeting statistics for the games revenues and new stadium construction. Try as he may to leave a legacy for expanding the game, Selig will always be known of first as the Commissioner who presided over the steroids era. Which brings me to his second mistake which I find far more egregious than the first, when asked about if any responsibility lay with him he dodged the question. I am insulted by his assertion that he bear no blame for what has transpired. However, I do commend Selig for taking the imitative to commission this report when all others opposed it. What's more I applaud his stance that he will look at each individual on a case by case basis in order to judge what if any disciplinary action should be enforced, so long as he does it in a way that is fair. To me, and this is based purely on my own speculation, it seems as though Selig wants to go after Bonds full steam ahead. I think that he should, but only so long as he also goes after the others who may not be as high profile just as aggressively as he hunts down Bonds.

The Players Union
Obviously the players union is set up to protect the interest of the players so their reaction should come as no surprise. As I said I am disheartened by the lack of cooperation, but now the ball is really in the players union's court. It is their responsibility to recognize the Mitchell report as what it is, a referendum on drug abuse, and work not only in the best interest of the players but also really think about the far reaching implications that any disregard for Mitchell's recommendations will have. The players need to realize that the fans will not side with them if they continue to fight against drug testing. Remember guys, many hearts are broken with the release of this report, mine included.

On the Names
It breaks my heart to see Andy Pettitte's name on the list. I have always thought of him as a class act who set a good example. That just goes to show you how far reaching this problem has become. Regarding Clemens, honestly I have never liked him even when he was helping us win it all. Still, his name on the list breaks my heart too. Maybe I had the wool pulled over my eyes but I did respect his career, I don't know how one could not. That is all over for him now though, he will never be fully vindicated. The best pitcher of the era will always have an asterisk over his head as will so many others.

Final thoughts
I am disappointed today, desperately so, but I will get through it and hopefully all parties involved will rectify this situation sooner rather than later. I just want this whole thing to be over and done with. Let's dish out the suspensions, hear a few apologies, implement a fire proof testing program and move on. Let's not let the game continue to suffer because of dirty needles, it means too much to too many people.

6 comments:

jess said...

i'm still trying to work through all my issues with this. i love baseball too much not to forgive. but i do take issue that the report (i've only skimmed it) seems to rely on the words of two people, rather than a greater preponderance of evidence. and i also think selig seemed weirdly gleeful for a flash when he talked about the case-by-case deal.

i kindof hope it makes all sports consider their legacy. it obviously is not just baseball players cheating the system. and in the wall st. journal article it quotes buck o'neill. folks wanted him to be upset by steroids. he wasn't. he said that as long as the game has been around, players have done whatever they could to get an advantage. there seems to be a larger lesson there about all of us in what o'neill says, not just a bittersweet one (to me) about the game.

Bruce said...

I agree with the sources comments, but I also have to believe that given Mitchells history as a procecuter, a judge, and of course senate majority leader that he wouldn't rely on weak information. Who knows what will come of all of this, and Clemens has already steadfastly denied the allegeations...however no one else has. The players really need to respond to this on an individual basis but until such time I'm afraid that it is guilty by association.

Julie said...

I agree with you that seeing Andy's name on there was heartbreaking for me. But Clemens, eh, I knew it was coming.

The player's union really cannot have an adverse reaction to this report because do they really want to "support" drug use by the players. No, of course not.

Selig is an a-hole always has been always will.

Who surprised you most on the list??

Bruce said...

As far as NOT being on the list I think that Sosa not being on the list is the biggest surprise, I sort of thought we would see Ortiz and or Manny too.

I have to say though that Pettitte really surprised me more so than anyone else.

Anonymous said...

You know there is a long a rich tradition in this country of witch hunts against "stars" in the media spotlight. From Fatty Arbuckle to Hollywood writers and actors in the 50's to Michael Vick today. For the most part they all have similarities.

Often the "story" of the alleged misdeed is fueled by media speculation and innuendo, never more then in today's 24hr news cycle. Michael Vick is serving 23 months in jail because of his celebrity while Pacman Jones is a free man. I'm not downplaying what Vick did but the Jones incident left 3 people with bullet wounds and one man paralyzed for life. I am deeply concerned about a wide reaching report that throws into question the entire life's work of these baseball players without any real due process. When will we learn that to not fall prey to these tactics and start demanding higher standards from our journalists and others in the media?

To name names based on the type of evidence that wouldn't hold water for five minutes in a court of law is a slippery slope to be on. What if the company you worked for decided to judge your work and value to the company based on hearsay and rumor. What if you were staying up late every night doing extra work for your company and someone in the office said you looked tired so therefore you must be a meth addict.

Oh by the way, Fatty Arbuckle was innocent, none of the writers or actors named were communists or threats to national security, and there is no way Michael Vick's crimes out weigh what Pacman Jones did!

Bruce said...

That is actually a very good and valid point and something that I have considered aswell. However, there is also an example that must be set for young people. I'm not saying that everyone one this list is or should be assumed to be guilty, but drug abuse in any form is something that must be dealt with so as not to perpetuate a behavior type. All in all a very sad day.