Days Until Opening Day 2009

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Santana to the Mets

I guess that I am not too surprised by this. I honestly thought that The Yankees were going to make a serious go at it, and I suppose in some respects they did, but they made the right decision by holding on to youth rather than chasing after a veteran. Although I write that with some pause since truthfully I would have loved to get Santana (who wouldn't). But the practice of swapping youth for veterans needs to be put on hold. Sure, Santana isn't nearly as old as Randy Johnson was when we acquired him, doesn't share the same penchant for punching walls as Kevin Brown, but frankly the memory of those debacles and of course the memory of a certain pitcher with the initials CP makes me feel ok with not picking up Johan. In hindsight all the posturing from The Yankees and Boston over Santana turned out to be just another tactic in the battle of the bulge (by that I mean bulging wallets) between American sports greatest rivals.

Now of course every arm chair analysts and ESPN columnist will question if this a winning deal or a losing one for the Mets. Personally I don't think that it is a question at all. Let's face it, the Met's have been unraveling at the seams this off season, making lamebrain trades to the Nats and not getting much in return. This is the only decent thing they have done since mid September. With Santana the Met's get a sure fire lefty and only give up four (unknown to me)prospects and $140 million, ten million less than the rumored going price. Certainly an upgrade from Glavin who probably has "Wake Me When September Ends" on permanent repeat on his ipod. So good for the Mets because frankly if the Yankees can't have Santana, and he isn't in Boston, the Met's could certainly use a B-12 shot right now. Plus, going the National league means we only have to face up against him a few times during inter league play.

*Full disclosure, I do not hate or love the Mets. To me I could really care less about them.

5 comments:

Julie said...

I love how all people think that Yankees fans hate the Mets.

I don't mind the Mets either, I even have a soft spot for them because my mother and most of my family are DIEHARD Mets fans. (my mother was there when they won in '69)

I think that this year may be a big one for them. Especially because they are leaving Shea behind for Citifield.

Bruce said...

It could be a big year for them given the fact that they have some solid pitching, but we'll see about Pedro, he is becoming a paper tiger.

How was your trip to DC?

Julie said...

DC= Awesome
It's a long process but hopefully we will know soon if we are moving.

PS I dedicated a post to you just now.

Bruce said...

HA!! That is awesome, I need to get myself one of those. (I tried to comment on your blog but I couldn't for some reason)

Julie said...

Oh yea I didn't want any hate comments so I shut the comments off for that post.