Days Until Opening Day 2009

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

On Giambi, Bonds, and Suspensions



It looks like Jason Giambi is headed towards a suspension for his comments in USA Today about his steroids use. Keep in mind he never openly admitted it in the article, but it certainly isn't something that has been a secret. But making an example of Giambi who has at least apologised is not the person MLB needs to make an example of.* Of course I am speaking of Bonds, the poster boy of the steroid era who basically needs to be caught on video injecting himself with steroids and wiping steroid cream all over his body in order for something to happen to him. Bonds said something to the Balco grand jury, whether he said he never "knowingly" used, or that he did use doesn't matter. We all know that he did and so does he. Love him or hate him, Bonds is going to break Hank Aaron's home run record this year and as the saying goes and press is good press (especially in the eyes of Selig).

Baseball needs to come clean about the drug abuse problems of the last ten years, Selig seems to only want to go after smaller name players, or players who are past their prime enough (or injured) so that their loss of contributions are negligible. If it takes some sort of amnesty program where players who admit to past use are disciplined, but not suspended that is fine. Hell, I'll even say they get to keep their records if they willingly come clean. But if they don't they are headed for asterisk-ville.

So will Bonds ever be officially called out? No, of course not. Lets face it, anyone who even knows what a baseball looks like knows that Barry juiced, but Selig wants home runs more than he wants a fair game.

*Full disclosure, I met Jason Giambi in a bar in Boston and he bought me a beer so naturally I kind of like the guy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When did Giambi buy you a beer? Why was he in a Boston bar? That's awesome.

Bruce said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bruce said...

It was right after he came to New York and I was living in Boston at the time. The Yankees were playing the red sox and he happened to be in the bar next to the one my best friend managed so naturally I ran over there. At the time he was being given a lot of crap because he was slumping. I got as close as I could to him (the bouncers were surrounding him) and said "JASON, I'M GLAD TO HAVE YOU IN NEW YORK, DON'T WORRY EVERYONE WILL CALM DOWN" at that he waved me over and shook my hand. I asked him for an autograph (which he gave me) and then I asked him if I could buy him a beer to which he replied "Nope, but let me get you one" he signaled over to the bar and the next thing I knew I had a bud in my hand. I left him alone after I thanked him.

The guy is fricken.

Anonymous said...

I have met Jason a number of times and I can tell you that he is truly a great guy. Even when he is not buying a boy a beer. How could a Yankee's fan live in Boston? Ever?

Anonymous said...

C'est la meme chose. Once again... you prove my point. You have a MLB team right in your backyard, other than the Orioles... and all you guys care about is the feud between the Red Sox and the Yankees. Youpee is now working for the Canadiens to keep up his mascot skills until their inevitable return. ANY player on 'roids deserves the chair. Bud Selig has the morals of a child molester. You should know that by now.

Bruce said...

King of all idiots, I am a Yankees fan, always have been, always will be. While I support the Nats they are not my number 1 team. As for the Canadiens, I don't write about hockey.

As for living in Boston, it was a tough go.