Days Until Opening Day 2009

Monday, June 25, 2007

I Just Don't Get It

Just as quickly as the Yankees turned around their bad start, they have slid right back into the hole they had so desperately tried to dig themselves out of. There are still reasons to be optimistic, but the dream of catching the red sox is quickly slipping away. I hate to say this but the sox simply won't lose on a regular basis. True, they haven't been plagued by injuries the way that the Yankees have, and that could still happen, but one gets the sense that this new slide the Yankees are on has stolen the momentum away from the team.

I only saw the highlight reel of Clemens relief role last night, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it. He's certainly had a bit of a shaky comeback so far and it seems that Torre wants to get him some more time on the mound to settle in. What I'm afraid of is what I thought from the beginning, that he is just to old. He does have some gas left in the tank but I don't know if it is enough.

I don't want to give up on the season yet, I'll reserve that disgrace for a few weeks after the all-star break. But pretty soon it's going to be time for a little session of loving honesty if we don't start getting some consistent wins. If we finish out July more than 8 games behind the red sox I'm afraid we'll have to concede that our long and glorious string of division wins has come to an end, and that the playoffs may not be in our future. But wouldn't it be great if Phil Hughes comes back strong, the red sox suffer a string of injuries, and the Yankees mount a historic comeback to not only win the division, but win the whole thing despite everything? Well, here's hoping.

No comments: