Days Until Opening Day 2009

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Back In Black


The all-star break is over, and now I finally have a computer to call my own (yes I know I know make fun all you want). So as we begin the second half of the baseball season here are the first set of topics that are either bugging me, or I just feel like writing about.


BACK IN BLACK (hopefully):


The Yankees managed to take two from the Devil Ray's this weekend, normally I would say big deal but considering the fact that the Yankees need to win every game they can (especially against teams under .500) I'll take what I can get.



THE 30 MILLION DOLLAR MAN:


It has been widely reported that A-Rod's agent feels that he is worth $30 million dollars a year. Excuse me Mr. Rod....but NO PLAYER is worth that much money unless he comes with 8 other players. Of course the only team aside from the Yankees who could even foot a salary that high is the red sox. While they have expressed interest I have a hard time believing that Theo Epstein would pay one player 20% of Boston's entire payroll, or believing that A-Rod and Jason Varitek could ever be teammates. Frankly it is disgusting. His salary (already the highest ever in the majors) is an example of greed and goes miles to help justify the argument that only big market teams can afford to pay for top talent. Keep in mind that this is the same guy who at the beginning of the season said he wanted to retire a Yankee. Of course team loyalty has never been all that important to Rodriquez as we all saw first in Seattle, and then again in Texas (although I suppose I should tread lightly here for obvious reasons).



JORGE SAY IT ISN'T SO:


Jorge Posada is interested in exploring free agency at the end of his contract. I have to say I am a little surprised by this. Posada like Jeter is one of those players who you just assume will retire in pinstripes. While I can't see paying much more for a catcher who is entering his last years, still, the Yankees should have some loyalty to the guy (within reason) and not do to him what they did to Bernie Williams.


DEREK JETER ISN'T BLACK THAT'S WHY TORRE LIKES HIM:


Gary Sheffield claims that Joe Torre doesn't treat his black players fairly, and the Derek Jeter isn't black because his mother is white. When asked if he thought Torre is a racist he answered no. So he treats black players unfairly but isn't a racist.....hmmm. Sounds to me that Torre, just like a lot of other guys in MLB just don't like Sheffield regardless of his race.

No comments: